Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all .i have a 2059 n tech diesel note 16 alloys.all alloys are bubbling in centre.my warrantee runs out in september this year.only done 13500 from new. its not bad bubbling but will get worse .are nissan obliged to replace them cheers tommybr

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Probably not, but try it anyway, some people here have had a new set.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes they are. Mine is the same age as your car and they replaced one of mine last year.Looking at the other 3, they are going the same way and I will be taking the car to them later on in the year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had all four wheels replaced under warranty last week. Blistered around centre badge, rear blistering barely visible. Mine, a '59 plate N-tec with 13800 miles with 6 months warranty left.
Just took it into the dealers who took photographs to send on to Nissan, then got a phone call to book it in....no discussion or any bother. It all took less than 2 weeks from first contact with dealer to new wheels.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I think this is very generous of Nissan, I wouldn't guarantee wheels exposed to salt and brake dust without a maintenance program for more than 12 months. (Neither will a wheel re-furbisher, a 3 year guarantee is exceptional)

·
Registered
30 Posts
MNL,
I was very impressed with the painless result to the bubbling problem, but surely wheels should be produced that can withstand more than acouple ofyears worth of motoring. Ours is quite low mileage, 13800 miles, most journeys of 20+ miles and kept reasonably clean - no great build up of brake dustetc.

Wehave a13 YO Mazda, 91000 miles with alloys in almost perfect condition, just a few scratches but no breakdown of the coating.

Also a 15 YO Vauxhall (90000 miles)with alloys with no corrosion. This is used as a general runabout, used for local trips, especially when the roads are salted or when going through the local lanes full of cow muck. Not often washed!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
In The Olden Days pretty much everything was made to last, and they were allowed to use proper environmentally harmful paints and treatments.

I have a Honda 400 outside, 1992. I ride it in Winter on salty roads. The alloy engine and frame parts are perfect, never been repainted from new, just washed off.
I bought a Honda Deauville in 2004. Less than 12 months old, the corrosion on the alloy was unbelievable, they are all like it: modern lacquers apparently.

Nowadays with the PC brigade banging on about people dying from asbestosis, children born with two heads, dead fish, ozone depletion, and global warming pretty much anything that worked is banned (just try buying creosote for your shed now, the substitute is pretty useless, and that emulsion stuff is just a joke)

I remember when cars didn't scratch down to bare metal when you brushed against them, the paint they use nowadays scratches if a few light photons hit it

The serious point is, whilst I agree wholeheartedly with you (the wheels on the RAV4 outside are 15 years old and have more paint on than the ones on the note) the wheels are subjected to a harsh environment, and the manufacturer has no control over whether they were cleaned, had chips touched in etc. It must be costing Nissan a fortune.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mnl,
I agree that the problem must be down to the current materials and processes used in manufacturing, and probably the fact that not enough people complain and get Nissan etc to rectify the problems.

Aremost cars still sold on after 3 years, therefore the original owners are not too worried about a little corrosion on the wheels, if they notice it atall? Perhaps the majority of owners will not even notice the corrosion on the wheels until it is quite bad (and too late to claim on the warranty) due to having their cars cleaned by a third party.

This was one reason I posted in the general forum re my wheels so that others would be aware of the problem in good time to have the wheels sorted at Nissan's cost.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Tango Charlie said:
Aremost cars still sold on after 3 years, therefore the original owners are not too worried about a little corrosion on the wheels, if they notice it atall?
Yes, lots of cars get sold on when the warranty expires. (This should tell you something: people keep shelling out to not have to care for their cars is the obvious conclusion) Mine is 3 and a bit years old, I should have looked around it a lot more carefully and chosen one that had been looked after to my standards, rather than gone on age, mileage, service history, and superficial appearance. (As Mike Brewer says "You can polish money into a car!")

It is actually ex-motability, like a lot of the cars on here. I now think that because these cars are effectively leased not owned, in the majority of cases they don't get the love and attention that you would put in if you had paid through the nose to buy a new car with your savings. All you do get is low mileage and a full service history.

I think that next time I'm saving up more and buying brand new, and it will be from the local dealer so I can take it back every week until it is perfect

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey there dont be too agin the motobility crowd , just because theyre disabled in what ever way doesn always mean that they dont look after their cars, because in fact they tend to be the ones who do look after their cars.
Because if their cars are clean and rust free etc they get a bonus of £££'s back every time the swap cars, therefore making looking after their "Free cars " worth looking after.Plus this Bubbling Alloy thing, as someone stated quite early in all of this workmanship theses days is poor and cars are not treated to the same fine detailing like the Hotrods of American Hotrod on Quest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like 'filiform corrosion.' This will affect modern Aluminium alloys due to legislation meaning chromium based anti-corrosion paints can't used.

These paints did a really good job at protecting against corrosion, although they are very nasty. They are still used in the aircraft industry as unfortunately there isn't a good alternative.

There's really not a huge amount you can do about it either. Normal advice such as keeping the wheels clean, rinsingthoroughlyafter cleaning to remove any salts and avoiding scratching them on curbs or with tools when installing may help.

Ironically, an old set of wheels (with this coating) may well outlive a new setaesthetically. Not really that good for theenvironmentif 1 year old sets of wheel have to be ditched and replaced is it??!

·
Registered
157 Posts

i've had continual slow loss of pressure on three tyres over the lsat 6-12 motnhs. Finally took it today to find out what's what - and it is corrosion on the inside of the wheel where the tyre sits. Very poor. They had to clean them up with wire wheel and use some black tyre bead sealant which is like silicon / rubber and refit tyres. Should be ok but will need re-doing possibly next time I have new tyres fitted.

three in a row!:

·
Registered
453 Posts
coolhands, I would get a new wheel and put that one on the back until I did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts