Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads i have to change my brakesin the next week or two. dose anyone know are the back brakes the wined back type or just push back type. Thanks mark

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The rear shoes have a Japanese type magic screw adjuster, you screw it closed when you fit new shoes. Then with the drums on you press the brake pedal hard about 500 times and they reset by magic (I know exactly how they are supposed to work, I just don't see why they should) The adjusters are handed and have opposite threads.

You are unlikely to need rear shoes though, unless you drive with the handbrake on the rear brakes do hardly anything compared to the fronts

You MUST threadlock the hub nuts if you don't fit new ones(like Nissan recommend) or the back wheels will fall off.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I can say with hand on heart, no cars that I've owned has had the rear shoes replaced whilst in my possession, due to wear. My old Nissan Sunny never had new rear shoes in nearly 200,000 miles. They were always checked at service, and pre MOT.

Is there anyway of checking the rear shoes on a Note visually.?

Edited by: Boysie

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
there no inspection holes on the note, its a drum off job to check them, as above replace the locknut or use some thread lock

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

Here is a nice picture. The magic adjuster is item 4

If the shoes go out too far the magic works and little levers gradually turn the screw thread to make the adjuster longer

Notice that the assembled view is the opposite hand brake to the exploded one. AND they have put the magic adjuster opposite ways round .If you do start messing, take some photos before you move anything, to aid in assembly, and don't ever strip both sides at once

Edited by: mnl

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Looking at that picture, there's not much changed in 50 years. My old Mini rears, looked like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many miles would one expect to get out of the OEM shoes? Seems like a bit of a palaver just to inspect them. I am at 60K.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Depends on how much braking the back has done.

The Other Car has done 110,000 and AFAIK, the shoes are the originals, and they have plenty of life left, I've put 2 sets of front pads and new discs on it since I've had it.

All you need are 2 new hub nuts, remove the dust cap, undo the nut, pull the hub off, inspect and replace.

If the drum won't pull off because there is a wear groove, likely you will need new shoes (and some nifty work with a grinder to take the lip off or new drums @ £100 or so a side)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
the retaining ring is to hold the bearing in place if it's the one I think you mean, so it can be left in place unless replacing the bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts