Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

Brakes seized

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Boysie 
#1 ·
Left car 2011 diesel note sitting for a few months (i know i shoild have moved it) and front brakes seized on. They let go with a bit of a bang and now ABS light is on . I'm assuming one or both front calipes has seized ? Brakes still work but only moved it up and down drive so hard to tell if pulling to one side

#3 ·
This is a puzzle because I'd expect only the REAR wheels to seize up after a few months laid up. That's because the handbrake would be a constant pressure within the rear drums.
Generally the front brakes remain free. (I'd be inclined to leave the handbrake 'off' but put in first gear when storing a car with the wheels well chocked to avoid this common problem)

#5 ·
I see.. Well that leaves me wondering if the brake fluid needs changing.. It may have degraded.
Lots of cars have been laid up through lockdown and calipers don't usually seize up, particularly through the summer months.
Please let us know how you remedy the problem.

#6 ·
The ABS/ESP lights are more likely to be a sensor issue, check for broken wires or bits of ABS ring dropped off. Maybe the ABS ring on a CV joint has broken up, jammed the hub and damaged a sensor when it was forced round.

It is easier if you can read the fault codes from the ABS, but the £10 code readers won't work for ABS controllers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.