Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had/have internittent graunching (like metal-on-metal) when braking.

The ABS and EPS lights also came on, so I took my 2009 Tekna straight in to National Tyres (my usual garage was stacked out), as of course I didn't want to risk driving on dodgy brakes. NT said it was the wheel bearings, and they relieved me of £140 to replace.

I sould say that I have been on the Spacesaver for a week or so, so perhaps that could cloud things. Anyway, the graunching has returned, and the ABS & EPS lights have come back on intermittently.

May I ask a couple of questions:

If you were me, would you go back to NT, as they have not solved the issue I took the car in for?

Could the graunching and lights issue be anything to do with having the Spacesaver wheel on?

I will fit a full-size wheel tomorrow, BTW, so that might change things.

All the best.

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
Quire possibly the ABS may have affected the brake wear, while using an undersized wheel. Rotation of the wheel would different compared to it's opposing axle wheel.
Emergency wheel is just that, and should never been used for days or weeks on end.
Check the brake wear on the front discs and pads, and for possible brake caliper parts for seizure, or lack of movement.

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
199 Posts
you've had the SS on for a week, but how many actual miles have you done ? Usually grinding when braking is pads are worn out or disc warped bad id say , did the garage check the pads and discs ? but heh i'm no expert on anything..!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the swift replies.

NV, thanks...garage did check pads and discs, and said they were worn but not the issue.

Point taken about having the Spacesaver on for so long, Boysie. I have done maybe 15 miles total in that week, but maybe it is part of the issue.

Can't wait to get the full-size wheel back on and see if that has any positive effect.

PS. NV, your Ronnie avatar has made me chuckle a few times!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Don't start"? Sounds like my old car!

It was funny all that stuff with the ref. Ronnie never helps the refs to replace the balls, does he ("That's your job"). He's a daft sod, but always interesting - unlike a lot of the ATM robots who play pro snooker.

Shame the Hendry comeback never came to anything, but he is a really good commentator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts