Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading a car forum (I know what a gigolo not sticking to this one only!)<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
This thread was about corroded brake pipes and one of the comments was this ""Most modern cars use alloy brake lines that don't corrode, not metal ones, and the corrosion is usually muck.""�
Can any of you lovely people confirm that this would be the case with all models of the Note from its inception date-one less thing to be ripped off about replacing!
Any comment as usual most gratefully received
Regards Spartacus1961

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I am popping in to see my local 'garagist' this afternoon (not about cars but advertising) and will ask him as he works on all makes/models.

Will post here later.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Right then, that's his ad in the church magazine sorted.
From memory/

Most modern fixed pipes are made of coper and/or steel alloys. Surface 'corrosion' is normally just oxidisation and dirt and he can't remember the last time that he replaced one except for physical damage. Don't attempt to clean off the oxidisation as it offers surface protection and any leaks will be visible anyway as darker areas.

Flexible pipes tend to be double wall steel alloy coil and DO corrode over time, however they are so cheap that at the first sign of a leak he simply swaps them all out and replaces the brake fluid.

This is from a guy who has looked after all our family cars (except the Note which is still under warranty) for the last 40 years and he still looks younger than me!!!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
there alloy steel err umm .................... CroMo steel. tbh i dont think thay have used copper pipes on new cars in 10-15 years due to costs, as above it usually the seals or the flexi pipes that go

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Good old Demon Tweaks will still sell you copper pipes if you want, but you are right the price of copper has gone 'thorough the roof'.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
most indepents still make pipes to order from copper (friend of a friend had some done for a P3 rover not so long ago)
now cars have abs ect if you get air in the system you need an interface to modulate the abs pump to bleed the air

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Thank you to the ""Usual Suspects""� that responded to my question.
The main reason I asked was because my previous car, a Vauxhall astra ""r""� reg (1998) had to have its front copper brake pipe done when one sprung a leak over a bank holiday weekend, ended up costing me the proverbial arm and leg as not many places were open or could fit me in (ohh err missis)
Not the sort of thing you can put off a day or two if you need a car, our wonderful police officers don't take kindly to a stopping distance of one mile!
Thanks again for your replies
Regards Spartacus1961

1 - 7 of 7 Posts