Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 1.416v 09 Nissan Note

The brake lightswere not working and Ireplaced the fuse, they worked fine and today the brake lights have gone again.

Can anyone please tell me what Ielse it can be

Thanks In advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We are now having problems trying to get a new brake light switch as they only have 2 prongs and ours is a 4 prong.Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I doubt very much it is the switch at fault if that is why your looking for one. Does the fuse blow straight away? or after some period of time? check the bulbs fitted for the brake light are the correct type and value. Other than that it could be chaffed wire, so look at the wiring near the light clusters as they may have been abraded when the clusters have been man handled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answering,
no they don't blow straight away , when you touch the fuse light plunger, it blew again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry...... the plungerIts on the brake light switch,(Can you guess its the wife who hasn't got a clue about thisI am just the typist lol)

Also why is mine a 4 prong and everyone is selling a 2 prong brake light switch is there something I should know?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
if it's blowing when the brake pedal is pressed that is when the bulb is powered so therefore it blows straight away. Check the bulbs are the correct type and wattage first then the wiring for being damaged especially near the light clusters. I'll look into the 4 wire switch but it could be for the auto box.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Has it got a towbar?
If so, check the cable run to the socket for chafing, and the socket for wires come adrift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks For answering,
No it doesn't have a towbar.
It hasn't been touched apart from cleaned.

No bulb has been changed and I have owned it for 10 months

That's why I cant work out why its happening bow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That has 2 prongs and the brake light switch has 4 on mine. but thank you for giving me that site for anything else I need to buy in the future

We have ordered one from the Nissan dealer, it should be in tomorrow hopefully
I hope its the right one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Done!!! it was the brake light switch, it has been replaced (4 prong brake light switch ) and is now working.Thanks For your help

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Glad that you got it fixed.
My o/s rear stop and tail light stopped working yesterday. Just in a moment of 'sod it' I gave it a gentle tap on the cluster - all working again. Took it off this morning, 'wiggled everything', checked for any loose connections, checked the bulbs, for water ingress or anything untoward - absolutely nothing wrong. All is still working fine. Weird!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Bernard said:
That has 2 prongs and the brake light switch has 4 on mine. but thank you for giving me that site for anything else I need to buy in the future

We have ordered one from the Nissan dealer, it should be in tomorrow hopefully

I hope its the right one

I thought you wanted a 2 prong one, if you had looked there were plenty of 4 prong ones available. For the fuse to blow via the switch there must an internal fault with the contacts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts