Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

The front discs on my 2009 dCiAcenta RUST faster than on any vehicle I've ever known or owned. Literally before your very eyes. Sure, the winter salt accelerates the rusting, but the extent of it is extraordinary! The rust is worn off by the pads after a short distance and washed onto thealloy wheels when it's wet, and will stain them if not cleaned frequently.

The noise from the discs as the rust coating is removed by the pads is also louder than you'd expect, proving that the amount of overnight rust is really thick! It's similar to the amount of rust you'd expect having not used the car for a couple of weeks after use on salty roads.

The discs and pads are original. The car is 2009 and just turned 26000 miles with 100% Nissan dealer servicing from new. Thinking of changing the discs and pads sometime ahead because clearly the rate of rusting is extreme, and I think it's related to materials. Or maybe there's something super-electrolytic happening with this particular car?

Also not impressed either by the car's overall braking performance. It always seems under-braked to me. That's another reason to possibly change the discs and pads. I usually use Valeo as replacements with always good results.

Anyone else with this problem ?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
In short no, not to the extent you relate, you would need to be using acid to accelerate the corrosion your quoting. As to replacements I have used Mintex and their fine, as an alternative Brembo's are available.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mdvineng - thanks.

This is certainly an odd one and I'm having some trouble reasoning the cause! I agree reacid and familiar with the effects. Cleaning acids are banned on my Note alloys knowing how thin the lacquer coating actually is! Once the corrosion starts there's no way back, so I tend to look after the wheels on both our cars. My thoughts are that the extreme rusting is caused by either the disc steel spec, possibly the pads, or something metallurgical I don't understand. No other steel or iron parts of the car - or any car I know - rust at the rate of these discs in what is normal everyday use.

As my dealer is always helpful and honest with me I will check if they are aware of similar issues on Notes or other. They were totally honest about the frequency of lower suspension arm bush failure and premature corrosion of the alloys.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I get a bit of quick light rusting but nothing untoward.
A thought, do any neighbours cars have similar problems? Thinking about the formulation of salt/grit that your local authority may use.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The discs can and do rust up over night but it soon goes once you use the brakes, its more than likely the steel (pig iron) that makes up the discs causes them tooxidize very quickly
Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
alfisto said:
mdvineng - thanks.

This is certainly an odd one and I'm having some trouble reasoning the cause! I agree reacid and familiar with the effects. Cleaning acids are banned on my Note alloys knowing how thin the lacquer coating actually is! Once the corrosion starts there's no way back, so I tend to look after the wheels on both our cars. My thoughts are that the extreme rusting is caused by either the disc steel spec, possibly the pads, or something metallurgical I don't understand. No other steel or iron parts of the car - or any car I know - rust at the rate of these discs in what is normal everyday use.

As my dealer is always helpful and honest with me I will check if they are aware of similar issues on Notes or other. They were totally honest about the frequency of lower suspension arm bush failure and premature corrosion of the alloys.

Cheers!
If your really talking about corrosion on the alloy wheels, that's different and nothing to do with the discs themselves but the pad materials, that and the very badly protected wheels. Prevention is better by cleaning them frequently so the corrosive action of the pad dust doesn't eat in to the wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Heat plus moisture, will and does accelerate brake disc corrosion, and any other metal parts that get affected with the same conditions. (Check your exhaust and manifold.
). I'd only replace the discs/pads, if there is a need.

I get the same 'graunch' when applying the brakes first thing in the morning, but my discs are fine after 70,000km. Same goes for the pads....still original fitments.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.

OK - more information. I've worked in the motor trade since 1981. Driven literally 100's of different road cars from every type, driven up to 40000 miles per year,and owned probably 20 private cars myself since 1973. Brake discs certainly rust and I'm familiar with that. It's the speed of rust formation and the thickness of that rust which is the issue because on this particular car it seems exceptional.

The thick rust forms overnight. When driven the next day the pad friction removes the rust in the usual way - but lots of it! That rust dust then falls onto the alloy wheels and when wet forms an orange stain on the lacquer. The stain is a nuisance but can be polished off. I referred to this rust deposit on the alloys only todemonstrate the rate of the rust formation. Brake dust is usually black, quite corrosive, andleft too long is hard work to remove.

Our other car is driven on the same roads, on the same days,and exposed to the same50 odd miles every day- 6 days a week.The discs of that car will develop a "normal" light rust film overnight, but nothing more. On the Note the rust is so thickit could literally be chiselled off,and similar to the effect you'd get having used an aggressive wheel cleaner spray. So to compare the two cars, the conditions are the same but the effects are not.

I still think it's odd, so will ask my dealer if they've had similar experiences with other people's cars.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ok, my discs needed replacing at 21k, so if you haven't done so, measure the thickness of the discs (20mm minimum thickness)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it may well be just a duff batch ofmetal thay have used to cast the discs or it could be the sinter in pads reacting
organic pads can be a nightmare at times

·
Registered
238 Posts
Could be the 'tin worms' working overtime
Lot of moisture in the air at this time of the year so your bound to get over night rusting, all the cars I have ever owned have had this problem. Just be careful when you apply the brakes for the first time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's an image of the RH front disc - 2009 Note Acenta dCi. Car parked overnight after 25 mile drive home.

and same for our Fiat Sedici used in same conditions and parked overnight-

Lower pic is "normal" light rusting. Upper pic is more extreme!

I cleaned off the orange rust stains from the lacquer and polished the wheels, so not evident in the upper pic. But given the rust formation on the discs it will surely return.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
that doesn't look anything more than light surface rust from overnight condensation, have you checked the thickness yet as they start out at 22mm new and need replacing at 20mm so only 1mm wear each side, not much. The two pics show thw Note with lots of condensation evident where the Fiat shows none at all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the opinion. Not checked the thickness yet. A bereavement here at home so necessities to deal with. The discs outer ridges are quite prominentso I can accept that replacement is not far away and it's usually a quickie job.

You're right about the condensation difference and I hadn't noticed that - good point.Might be that I'd cleaned and waxed the wheels the previous day and the water had beaded up. The Sedici's wheels haven't been polished for a while so I'd guess the water would flow and disperse.

If after the discs are replaced the rusting is no worse than for the Sedici then surely the finger points to the metal ?

It's a superb car though andpleasing to own. In everyday driving - town/country/fast motorway - always returns 63+mpg and £30 RFL. Can't wait for thebouncy-bouncy OE Contis to wear out though!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
With chill cast iron, the outer surfaces have a different microstructure and hardnessto the inner core areas and this also depends on size shape etc but the grain size will be larger in the centre of any mass. Thinner discs will get hotter than standard thickness ones and this can further degrade the surface.I don't have any records of this asnearly all of my work is on Mg/Al/Ti and super Alloys.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For mdvineng. Disc thicknesses measured today at 20.4mm and 20.5mm as close as I can measure. Original discs and with 26500 miles from new. Currently waiting for pricing of replacements via Valeo (I believe Valeo's are actually Mintex manufacture). Not sure of the OEM producer of the discs on my car from new but most likely Lucas or TRW.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
thats what mine measured when i replaced them

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, time to change discs soon! It'll be interesting to observe the rate at which the new discs rust overnight.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have to say that here on the Sussex coast everyones discs rust overnight regardless of make, the wiper blades too break up quite quickly regardless of what price you pay and also the tyres crack, the local motor dealers all will tell you it's the rays of the sun and the salt air.....

Myself and neighbours on all our marques of cars suffer here and one guy with a Renault paid for geniune wipers at £45 and they lasted no longer than some Wilkinsons cheapos..... you pays your money and takes your choice it would seem, when I lived in the midlands these parts seemed to last far longer.....or do you suggest that the products were made from better materials then ???????

1 - 20 of 42 Posts