Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this subject belongs on the forum but I have just noticed a small, shallow dent above the right rear wheel arch on my Note E12. No idea how it happened, a sharp stone or pebble flying up maybe. It is very minor but in a visible spot so I'd like to fix it. The paintwork is undamaged.I was thinking of attempting a DIY fix to pull it out using one of those suction pad devices available in motor factors. Draper Tools make one. I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on the repair. Would taking it to a bodyshop be a wiser option nevertheless?

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
You will not pull that out. Find a local smart repair chap but I suspect it needs a body shop since it's on a fold.

And it's not a pebble, that is a parking knock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, just an update. Went to a local smart repair guy. Not possible using his methods he says, due to the degree of difficulty involved. He would need to drill a hole from inside the panel outwards and then fill. He says the fact that's it's a rear panel knock makes it more awkward because rear panels have double the thickness of front ones and the steel Nissan used is not the strongest, so not the best to work on. I don't know what you make of all that !! Sounds dubious. Maybe he just wasn't interested in taking the job. Bodyshop will be my next port of call I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Hi, just an update. Went to a local smart repair guy. Not possible using his methods he says, due to the degree of difficulty involved. He would need to drill a hole from inside the panel outwards and then fill. He says the fact that's it's a rear panel knock makes it more awkward because rear panels have double the thickness of front ones and the steel Nissan used is not the strongest, so not the best to work on. I don't know what you make of all that !! Sounds dubious. Maybe he just wasn't interested in taking the job. Bodyshop will be my next port of call I guess.
Not dubious at all. It's quite a bit of work to fix a tiny dent. The metal has stretched with the dent, and right in the wrong to fix easily. That little repair will cost you an arm and leg, considering the size of the dent. Matching the colour for the respray of the whole panel, as well filling the dent and sanding it smooth, plus labour costs.
I have the same 'supermarket dents', in several places. It looks like someone lost control of their trolley, and it bounced around down the side and dented several places. Of course no one owned up to it, or left a phone number. So I live with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughters Note is a similar colour to yours. Her colour code is KY0. I recently addressed ( rubbed down, primed, painted and lacquered) a small bit of rust on tail gate just above wiper arm but tucked in tight in gap below rear window ( so quite hard to rub down). Feel comfortable that I've given it a reasonable amount of protection but it may come back in time. Used spray primer, topcoat, and lacquer from Halfords. It was a learning curve and colour mismatch is quite noticeable to me. Its a very small inconspicuous area otherwise I'd never have attempted it. Id feel generous scoring it at 5 out of 10. Only reason I tackled it myself was that the local chap who had done some reasonably priced good work for me on own my car had a look and said there was always the possibility that it might come back, it was a real pain to colour match that colour in a small area so it would need whole tailgate respraying and the window removal and refitted to chase rusty bit away. He made me feel it was a lot of work and effort and money for what I was looking at and not really worth his workshop space and time doing it. Anyway the main thing I learned with KY0 colour matching a localised respray is beyond my ability. Any other scrapes and scratches that occur will be getting touch up pen to protect and camouflage the exposed primer or bare metal and if and when there's enough of them accumulated to justify it Ill send car to the local guy for 4 days and get all tidied up properly. Hats off to the guys that do it for a living.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts