Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i followed the workshop manual and removed entire dash and side vents on my 97 AirCon Note. With this done i still cannot remove the blower motor? There is no room to put it out to replace it. What else do I need to do? The workshop manual seems to suggest I should be able to get it out after dash and side vent removal?

Would be grateful of any help as now sitting sobbing surrounded by dashboard parts! :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The workshop manual seems to be written for LHD cars (odd as it is made in the UK and Japan is RHD as well) Likely the steering column or pedal box is in the way.

Why do you want it out?
The controller is more likely to fail than the motor, in The Olden Days it would be a couple of wirewound resistors, now it is all transistorised.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying. The fan started making a really loud noise like it was warped/broken (all speeds worked) - after a couple of days of this it just stopped all together.

Think removing steering column may be a step to far for me - getting this far was pushing it! lol

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
It's a pig of a job, I even got a bit confuse with drawings its on the right hand side of the centre console

Remove the console and the cup holder trim (bit below the heater controls) as per the esm this will give you access to the whole heater unit*

* this may require you to stand on your head or blindly thumble around in the dark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your help.

An update - I removed a small metal bracket with a lip attached with three bolts - this was just above the blower connector. With this removed, I manhandled the old one upward (very tight) and put in the new one in the same way.

With all back together the fan works but with the same very loud noise (even causes vibration through the dash). Think either debris is caught in a pipe (although the noise doesn't change on any setting inc. face - feet - windscreen and also circulation type.)....

...or in my manhandling, I managed to bugger up the new one on it's way in! nightmare!!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you take the pollen filter out, I expect that you can see some way into the heater unit. Get one of those mirrors-on-a-stick that Rolson make and have a look for something stuck. The filter seems to be after the fan, there is a chance your intake is blocked, but it should work fine on recirculate

Make sure that the air direction flaps are working, and you are getting air out of the vents properly.
On my old maestro the flaps had a habit of disconnecting, all moving to a closed position, and the fan motor made the noise a vacuum cleaner makes when you block the pipe until the dropper resistors burnt out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inspired by your comment I've just been on amazon and ordered a 7m digital USB endoscope (£17)so I can check out as much of the pipework as I can without taking everything apart. Will update once it arrives.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If it sorts the problem, it is money well spent, and I'm sure you can find more uses for it.

There is a pollen filter that you would expect to stop anything getting into the heater and vent tubes, so you need to check the inlet side for pieces of tree etc.

The fan is supposed to be balanced to the motor, I assume that the new one had the fan already fitted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, sorry for the delay - difficult finding time for such a time consuming job! But success! I now have a fully functional fan again. Thanks to everyone for your input! I'll briefly describe what I did - not that it is the right way or recommended - I am a novice!

I followed the workshop manual (bought on ebay) and removed the entire dashboard again! I then put the steering wheel back on - you'll see why in a moment!

I undid and removed the upper steering column bolts (4 Bolts)and small bracket (two extra nuts on top left hand side of steering column bolt fixing). I left the lower steering column fixing in place(the one by the universal joint near pedals).

With this done I carefully lowered the steering column until the steering wheel rested on the drivers seat (that's why i put the steering wheel back on!).

This gave enough room to remove the blower fan without any heavy handed behavior!

I hoovered out the casing and intake area - removed the pollen filter to do this! Had broken bits of fan plastic in there!

Before putting everything back I added a couple of wires to a standard 9v PP3 battery. I held the wires to the terminals of the blower motor to check that it was spinning without any issues/knocks/noises - It was this time :) so I put everything back!

Nissan quoted me £490.00 for this repair! So saved a few quid doing it myself!

New blower motor from europarts cost £86.00 - it took me half a day to do! If you don't include the failed first attempt!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
All I can say Pete is bloody well done.
Glad to see someone else uses the PP3 battery test
and that you got it sorted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interested by all the very useful information here. Dash removal is quite a daunting prospect. Is it essential to remove the entire dashboard? Yes I know the ESM states this, but experience often reveals different ways to access parts.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
no there are quicker ways you just need to use common sense its a bit tight but do-able

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this to look forward to.....
Don't have a manual and haynes don't have it on their Nissan list of online manuals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I need to change the blower motor on a 2006 Note as I am almost certain the brushes have gone. I have seen suggestions here and elsewhere that it is possible to do without removing the entire dash as per ESM. Is there anyone able to give me guidance?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Have a search of the forum it has been discribed a few times

The job is more common sence than anything most of the time is spent getting the trim apart than the actual job it's self

·
Registered
2 Posts
flash22 said:
It's a pig of a job, I even got a bit confuse with drawings its on the right hand side of the centre console

Remove the console and the cup holder trim (bit below the heater controls) as per the esm this will give you access to the whole heater unit*

* this may require you to stand on your head or blindly thumble around in the dark
Hello,

I have struggled to find the clear guidance on potential short cuts. Does the quoted email imply that you can get away with removing the console and trim to replace the blower motor or is this just additional steps to make life easier. If this were the approach I could see removing the driversseat might make life easier.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
englebert said:
flash22 said:

Hello,

I have struggled to find the clear guidance on potential short cuts. Does the quoted email imply that you can get away with removing the console and trim to replace the blower motor or is this just additional steps to make life easier. If this were the approach I could see removing the driversseat might make life easier.

Cheers
There are no short cuts and although job looks daunting its quite straightforward if you are used to working on cars.
After disconnecting battery follow manual and take off all the sub-assemblies from the dash The manual tells you how they come off, some un screw some pull off. Again all the electrical connections are unique and you cant put the wrong one back on.
Once you get down to the bare frame of the dash I found it couldn't be removed unless you took the steering wheel off BUT to save doing this i just cut a section of plastic dash under the column off as it does nothing.
You them undo the top bolts and small bracket holding up the column and allow it to drop with wheel rsting on seat.
You then take out a section of ducting and you will see fan and can get it out but still a tight squeeze. Dont force fan or you might break blades
I have had to do it twice with fan failures and took just3 hours second time
http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/uploads/401/SDC16896_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you confirm all need to do is remove centre consul and can get to the fan to replace Have tried dropping steering and still cant get it out that way Would appreciate any help
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I think I need to remove my blower fan now. I've not even looked at the logistics of replacing this however one thing concerns me,is removing the upper steering column bolts safe? I'm contemplating doing this myself however I'm waiting for a price from the garage.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Disconnect the battery (make sure you have your radio code) and you can drop the column without issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts