Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we have debated where copaslip can or can't be used it got me thinking about 'greasing' battery terminals. How many of us have literally used any old grease that we happened to have instead of petroleum jelly or any product specially made for the job. I'm guilty of this and can say, that over the years have never had a problem! So come on, own up if you have used an 'incorrect' product on your car and did you ever have a problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I've used ceramic hob cleaner and Brasso on paintwork scratches, Bolts for temporary fuses. Stockings for air filters. Hair dye on seat fabric. Coke cans for temp exhaust repairs. Moles grips for a steering wheel. And finally, a piece of string for an accelerator cable.

Oh, and Johnsons baby oil on locks and door hinges.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Still use Duraglit silver cleaner on minor scratches. A Pepsi can (don't like Coke
) for an exhaust repair. Wire coat hangers for exhaust brackets. String and a duffelcoat 'toggle' as a hand throttle and ........ a condom to waterproof a lighting connector on a Morris 1300.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
whos going to own up to using newsparper in a body repair
only bodge i have done is when i had a nail in a tire and had to get home i put a 3/4" x 8 in the hole so the tire wouldnt go down

·
Registered
10 Posts
not used newspaper..... but can remember fixing sills by pop riveting them on and covering with underseal, mind you the car did have a good chassis.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My past sins were
  1. expanding foam in sills
  2. tap water in battery's
  3. 20/50 engine oil in manual gearbox
  4. wd40 on dry fan belts
Luckily non of my old cars suffered any problems. Best bodge I've heard of was told to me by my mechanic friend- In the 70's he had tolook at Land Rover with a clunking noise, he found that some one had replaced one of the universal joints on the prop shaft with one that was too small !!! they had used 2 of the old pre- decimal pennies as packing just behind the circlips.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I've been on the receiving end of a few bodges.

I bought a Ford Corsair many years ago, and ran it for about 3 years, before the rust worm became too much for it.I took it apart and sold all the good bits for spares. I then proceeded to cut up the body for scrap.
The macpherson strut top mounts, had been lovingly and very carefully filled with isopon filler. The finish was amazing, as it had fooled me, and 3 mot testers. The plated weld job was atrocious, but it held out Ok.
Oh well, I doubled my money on it, so no complaints.

Bought a Morris 1000 with a fibreglass rear footwell, a Mini 850, with cardboard inner cills.

In 1973 I bought a 15 month old, ex company car, 1.6 Mk3 Ford Cortina, with 97000 miles on the clock. It had been given a new engine and gearbox before I bought it.
I duly put new dampers on it in all the corners, and clocked it back to 38000 miles. I ran it for 18 months, and sold it to a car dealer for £120 more than I paid for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I stripped a set of forks for a mate whose bike was handling 'funny' .....

At the top of each leg was a different size 1/2" drive socket to 'preload' the springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts