Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Note was in for a service recently, and the dealer suggested the Aircon could do with a service. I agreed. On return there was a strong smell, well-described on this forum and elsewhere as sweaty sock mixed with dirty ashtray. I took it back, and they explained that they use a bomb containing antibactia which is sucked through the AC system and kills all the bacteria lying in the system. There is no other way to clean it, they explained, as it isa sealed system. They set off another bomb - a different flavour this time - and over the following few weeks, I reckon the smell remains.

I took it back again yesterday, and this time, they reckon it's a leak in the skin allowing rainwater ingress causing mould. They were sceptical of my dubiousness when Ipointed out that the smell came suddenly after the AC service, calling it a coincidence. He mentioned that a few Notes had trouble with the rear high brake light seal perishing and water finding its way down through the bodywork.

All the carpets and seats are clean and dry, and they and the spare tyre well smell fresh on close sniffing, so I'm now pretty doubtful of this.

Anyone had any experience of this and can confidently offer a way forward?

Many thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
get a bag of bbq charcoal (not the one with lighter blocks in it tho) put some plastic down on the back seat and open the bag up as much as you can

leave it over night, and it should soak up the smells
theres 2 common leak points the drain on the air con and the windscreen both end up draining into the the footwells (theres 2" of foam under the carpet where water can sit

did thay change the cabin filter ? and air con bomb will be useless this is changed (easy diy job to change)

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The front widscreen is prone to leaks from other posters problems that I have read here. The dealer should be able to prime and re-glue it (whatever happened to good old rubbers?).

There are reports of leaks around the rear high level brake light as well.

Pop it out and re-seal with silicon seems to be the fix.

I would also suggest charcoal together with an open bowl of dry bicarbonate of soda (works miracles).

Also, as flash says, change the cabin filter which will hold 'the stink' wonderfully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts