Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but here's another question about something that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, even though that's exactly what it's designed to do!!!Since having new wiper blades fitted (probably coincidental) the automatic wiper function seems very intermittent. Even when the screen is covered with big spots of rain, the wipers don't kick in. Then other times it seems to work correctly, it's as if something has caused an intermittent fault, but what? Anyone any ideas?
1.5 N-TEC - 2 years old.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Give the area around the sensor a really good clean although, to be fair, the term 'random wipers' could be equally applied to this feature.

It was <STRIKE>piss</STRIKE> persistently hailing and raining here today and the auto wipers didn't notice!

Later in a light misting, guess what, they work - GRRR!

The same applies to my auto/random lights.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
There's a thread on the subject the "auto" settings on the note have a mind of their own

you will notice there is a twist control on the wiper control stalk this adjusts the frequence of the wipers

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Most of the automatic features don't work very well
, I think they are Renault designed

As Flash says, there is a twisty thing that doesn't seem to do anything, but is supposed to adjust the sensititivity from "dry screen wipe at max speed until the blades wear out" to "don't bother to wipe until after the crash"

Mine alternates between the two depending on whether it is dry or raining
so it is on OFF, along with the "always on except during a solar flare or a snowy blizzard" headlights.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Leave them on "Auto", then wait for the frosty morning when you start the car and the blades "rip" their way across the frost and ice. You will realise just what a "chocolate fireguard" the auto function is. :)

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
flash22 said:
you will notice there is a twist control on the wiper control stalk this adjusts the frequence of the wipers
Yep, from 'random' to 'useless mind of their own'

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes that happened to a friend of mine. Severe snow which froze and wipers set to auto, turned them on.......oops wiper motor and arms ruined....very expensive bill. I can understand why manufacturers hail auto wipers as a feature but why not simply link it to the outside temperature. If temp is below 3º then wipers default to manual when starting vehicle .......simples.......perhaps I should work for Nissan......common sense department.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Greyrider said:
perhaps I should work for Nissan......common sense department.
Common sense has not been a requirement of car design since about 1978.

I distinctly remember the wipers actually working in The Olden Days because
1) the blades used to park above where the hot air comes out so they would defrost
2) the spindle ends were not buried in a solid lump of permafrost.
3) the washer jets were heated, or on the bonnet over the engine, so they would thaw out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Flash's " random and mind of their own" reminded me of the vacuum operated wipers running off the inlet manifold in the early 50s. Going up a steep hill they wiped every 2 to 3 seconds but then on the way dowhill they clattered like a machine gun and looked as though they might fly off!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Ah, Ford Prefect wipers. Useless when, as you say, going uphill and going like the clappers when you pulled up at the lights. The wipers were rubbish but I could service my mate's Prefect with a basic toolkit and without a computer.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
In all honesty, I don't even know if my Note has auto wipers. Is the wiper auto function, something that can be turned on or off.?

I think I can tell when it's raining, without too much help. A quick flick of the stalk, is easy enough to do if needed, without fiddling with the intermittent wiper function. But, even that isn't rocket science.

As for wipers coming on during freezing conditions..........my missus is a pest. When she parks up of a night, she never turns the lights or wipers off. So if I start the car up in the morning before she does, all the electrical components she failed to turn off the night before, come alive.
Quite scary if you're half asleep. Luckily, the wiper motor hasn't been trashed, but the blades took a bit of a hammering with the ice.

So, a pre start up check list, before I start up, is the order of the day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those were the days!
When I looked under the bonnet of my Note the other day I could not see the fan belt never mind replace it.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
If you have auto lights you have auto wipers, on the light stalk it says auto on the second setting

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses - it is in the dealers today to see if they can figure out why the auto wipe doesn't - auto wipe!!I have tried cleaning around the sensor thing and that works for a few yards and then it doesn't work any more again. Regarding the graduated "ring" on the wiper stalk - I don't think this was ever meant to work on the auto wipe system? Yep, giving the switch a quick "flick" from the off position, to wipe the screen is an option. Funnily enough - opening the door (I don't do that on the move)! or turning on the interior lights kicks the wipers into life for a while. anyone want to give me betting odds against the dealer not being able to resolve this issue??

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
more than likely there want to swap the bcm not a problem if its under warranty not many dealers will do a full diagnostic and trace just swap parts

and its arm and 2 legs if its not

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
no its a Nissan bcm (body control module)the bcm is programed to the car and whatever options you may have

As I said in another thread the note is mainly Nissan parts and its built on the Nissan B+ Platform all the petrol's are Nissan based the k9k engine is Renault/delphi as is the diesel fuel system

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's good news.
You really wouldn't want that Renault one where your brake lights stop working and the dealer wants £700 to fix.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
We have the Nissan one where the rear fog light won't go out and the dealer wants £700 to fix, so there are a few running round with no bulb in the rear fog light

1 - 19 of 19 Posts