Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Being a new member & owner of a 2007 1.6 Automatic Tenka is it possible to ask the following as I noticed a small leak of gearbox fluid from the plastic pipe going from the gearbox to the radiator:-
Once the pipe was repaired & on checking the auto fluid from cold the fluid level was approx 10mm above the lower range on the dipstick.(the dip stick shows a fluid check from the COLD level range and a checking from the Hot level range)
When checking the fluid levels from Hot with the engine idling the fluid level reads half way between the COLD level range and the HOT level range.
I am under the impression that it should read just below the word stamped HOT when the engine is warm & ticking over. It appears to be difficult to read the level once the engine warmed up as its thinner.
I am afraid to add more fluid at this time incase I overfill the gearbox so I would like advice from people with far more knowledge than me.
Please advice.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi, on the HOT side of the dipstick there should be a checkered area, if the level is within this band all is OK if lower than this add fluid. make sure engine is hot and move the gear lever through all positions and leave in P, wipe dipstick with lint free cloth before dipping it for measuring. the oil is thin and clear so you will need to see how the light reflects to see where the real oil level is or slide your finger down from the top unrtil you can feel it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mdvineng thanks for replying. I have a cold range (approx 10mm is a checkered stamp) & this checkered stamp range is approx 30mm from the bottom of the dipstick.
Approx 70mm from the bottom of the dipstick is the stamped word HOT (there is no checkered stamp by the Hot mark.)
I assume that with the engine nice and warm and with it at idle the fluid should be just below the word stamped HOT.
Can you confirm this for me and thank you.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi, the side marked HOT with the chequered section is for the hot level, if you flip to the other side with no marking but two little notches at the edge is for cold level checking. Do not fill above the chequered section on the hot side.

regards

dave s

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi mdvineng
Again thanks for replying.I have noticed the 2 notches on the dipstick gauge & I realise that should the fluid level be at or below the bottom notch then the fluid level is too low. Like wise with the higher notch (the top of the checkered stamp) & showing fluid at that notch or just below means I assume that the fluid levels are correct if the car has been stood overnight i.e. the COLD reading.
What is throwing me is the HOT mark stamped approx 35/40mm above the 2nd notch of the checkered range. Surely if the fluid level is with-in the checkered range & with the engine at warm & the engine at idle the fluid cannot expand that amount to reach the HOT mark.
What I was trying to put across was do I leave the levels between the checkered range with engine at warm & at idle or do I top up to the HOT mark.
Bear with me as not I'm not the brightest bulb in the box.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Only within the chequered range when hot, the two notches are for cold only. It's not just the oil that expands so does all the internal metal work and this changes the level reading as does a sloping driveway!

regards

dave s

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mdvineng once again for the info & you will be pleased to know that the penny has finally dropped. Now realise that the fluid level should be read from the hot side of the dip stick and here is me thinking it should be licking around the word HOT.
Anyway all appears to be ok with the reading I was getting when hot so all is well.
Cheers & all the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts