Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Placed the question belowin Technical in error.New to this site! I have had one kind reply in Technical which answered my question but any more observations would be gratefully received

<DIV =msg>Hello can anyone comment on how reliable the gear box on a X-Trail SVE auto. 2488cc. 87000 mile,petrol. would be when towing a small 17ft caravan. Rather than buy a newer model I wondered if the above would give lots more miles of good driving, Your advise on auto gear box reliability would be welcome. lrem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't give you an opinion on the gear box but you might like to ask Jeremy Clarksons' advice on towing caravans.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
17ft is not small
10 ft is what I would call small.

Provided the caravan is less than the towing limit of the car, just tow it and not worry about it. I'd be more worried what an Xtrail is like with a caravan on the back than whether the gearbox can take it.

The biggest killer of auto boxes is overheating. Most manufacturers include an OIL TEMP light that comes on before the transmission cooks, usually when dragging a heavy caravan up a long steep hill, but I doubt if Nissan thought of it, the Note doesn't have one. If you do have one then just tow until it comes on, if it ever does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts