Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Nigel B / Flash 22,

Thank you for the replies.

My Note did 2 journeys of ~240 miles this weekend which was mainly motorway driving at ~ 70mph except through the many sets of roadworks, and then ~ 50mph

Annoyingly the green light is still flashing so it appears the battery has not recharged sufficiently.
Does this mean it only needs a recharger to top it up due to the technology or should I get it looked at by the dealer to eliminate other reasons (it's ~ 2years old, ~ 16,000 on the clock and I've had it about a year - next service due at ~18,000 miles).
If I just need to buy a charger, any recommendations?

Thanks again,
Pete

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Nigel,

In case anyone is looking to buy Nigel's recommended charger, this seems to be the same one except without the Halfords branding:

https://www.tantronics.co.uk/ring-rsc604-12v-4a-smart-charge-car-battery-charger.html

or this is a similar higher spec model:

https://www.tantronics.co.uk/ring-rsc605-12v-5a-smart-charge-car-battery-charger.html

Both are cheaper than the ones on the Halfords site.

If I've broken rules by comparing the prices, apologies and please delete the post - just trying to help people save a couple of bob.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Not at all, cheaper for absolutely the same thing is always better.7

Just beware the Chinese 'knock-offs'.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I bought a charger - the more expensive one as it happens.......
I hooked it up last night and it started to charge.
It hadn't completed by 11.00pm so I left it until this morning when it indicated it was charged.
Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue and the Stop / Start light is still flashing and doesn't operate.

Is there another reset needed? Looks like it may bea trip to the dealer after all.

Thank you for your advice

Pete

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the advice Flash. I'd seen your previous post but as far as I can tell I have met all conditions so it could possibly be a sensor fault?

As far as I know we're using the car in the same way as before the s/s stopped working and the light started flashing. The light did not flash before.

Since charging the battery:
We don't like aircon unless very hot so that's off (used monthly to lubricate pipes only) and we manually set the fan and temperature controls to avoid excess air flow - rarely using the "Mode" button even. The front and rear screen heaters are off. I also checked that the little display in the heater controls does NOT display "auto" - all to no avail.
We even tried with it turned off completely (no display in the heater control) but this made no difference

Trip to the dealer?
Thanks again
Pete

·
Registered
31 Posts
The dreaded green light has started flashing on my wife's E12.
I have read through the 17 pages of this thread and my understanding is that it is generally caused by the barely adequate battery becoming partly discharged. This would seem to be the case here as we have only done just over 11k miles in two and a half years,mostly short journeys often with several days intervals. When it happened was one such journey coupled with air con going at full blast due to hot weather.
I further understand that not having Stop/Start operating does not cause any harm and indeed on the rare occasions I drive the car I always disengage it (along with the Eco mode).
However, the flashing light is an irritation and I wonder that, if left, it could cause premature failure of that bulb or any other part of the advisory/warning lights system.
On reading pages 16 & 17 , it would seem that if the "clutch cure" doesn't work - and it hasn't done so far - neither a long journey (presumably using as little additional "electrics" as possible) or
charging via a "Smart" charger are guaranteed to resolve the problem so is it something that can be reset by the dealer ?
If I do decide to try a smart charger, is the E12 positive or negative grounded ?
Finally, I did also read about the bonnet alarm switch which seems a possible option provided that it would not affect other parts of the alarm system.Probably a stupid question but could it please be confirmed that the disabling can be reversed.
Many thanks
JP

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Johnpe and anyone else who still has an interest in this,
I hadn't posted further because my car was due a service and I was waiting for that.
Given the price I was charged I don't think I'll do that next time!

Anyway the dealer fixed the stop start.
They said they recharged the battery, tested it and it works. It worked correctly today and it works as well as it did before.

What I don't understand is why it didn't work after I had recharged the battery.
Does anyone know of a reset requirement in case it happens again?
And should I now charge the battery once a fortnight say to prevent recurrence? (I like the feature as I don't often drive in towns and even if it doesn't save much money it feels good).
Thanks again.
PS I also see Johnpe started a new thread. should this post be added to that too?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The consensus is to disable the system by disconnecting the bonnet switch<div abp="1746">
<div abp="1747">The stop/start does prematurely wear components like the flywheel, starter, battery, catand charging system - the system works in theory but in the real world the savingare minuscule and possibly worse for the environment, fuel needed to start/restart and the cat convertorcooling meaning its not at its optimum temperature to work
<div abp="1747">

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you peteuk for your update.
The plot thickens......seems to point to the fact that dealers may have a way to reset the system that is kept secret from owners. I can't see that their recharging the battery could have been the solution when you tried the same thing and failed.....unless they whack in a massive charge without regard to what harm it might do the battery. Or....just maybe.....disconnecting the bonnet alarm and then reconnecting also resets the stop/start.
On the subject of the bonnet alarm, I looked under the bonnet and quite honestly wouldn't have a clue where to begin. Needs an idiots guide - "Topsy and Tim disable an E12 battery alarm switch" or a Youtube video.
I think would be sensible to let my "new" thread quietly die....no sense complicating a topic that is rapidly approaching 18 pages.
JP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Slip of the keyboard in my last posting.
In my "Topsy and Tim" comments I referred to battery alarm switch .....I did of course mean bonnet alarm switch.
JP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stop/Start on mine always had a mind of its own. Occasional flashing light. also stopped and then restarted again within 1 or 2seconds. Green indicator on battery disappeared when 6 weeks old never to reappear.Complained on 1st service - dealer recharged battery. OK for a few months then back to same problems.
Had a real go at dealer on 2nd service - they recharged battery again but said they would change battery if problems recurred - problems did start again.
Went back to dealer and they replaced battery and did front suspension bushes which is another known problem.
Stop/Start has worked perfectly since battery change and green indicator still showing on new battery.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the battery is under spec'd or spec'd right on its limit, knowing the battery tolerance has to be within 3-5% of a full 100%charge<div abp="1274">
<div abp="1275">The alternator uses a "smart" charging system that is commanded by the ecu under set parameters and this just addsto the complexity of the stop/start
<div abp="1275">
<div abp="1275">I have the e12 service manual I will have a look regarding the bonnet switch

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
bonnet switch -iirc left hand side next to the bonnet stop you have 2 cables the thin one goes into the engine bay and there isa plug and socket on the radiator support this is for the switch

·
Registered
118 Posts
flash22 said:
The consensus is to disable the system by disconnecting the bonnet switch<div abp="1746">
<div abp="1747">The stop/start does prematurely wear components like the flywheel, starter, battery, catand charging system - the system works in theory but in the real world the savingare minuscule and possibly worse for the environment, fuel needed to start/restart and the cat convertorcooling meaning its not at its optimum temperature to work
<div abp="1747">
I do not think this statement is correct. People are not breaking down any more because of the stop/start system per se.
I have used a "manual" stop/start - engine off when stationary - in all the cars I have driven and have never had any wear issues. Modern cars with stop/start system are way overspecced compared to my cars in the past.
Our 4 year old Note has not had any stop/start / battery problems either.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The statement is perfectly accurate and premature battery failures and dual mass flywheel are now far more common (talk to any independent garage).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wife has just come back from a few days up in North Norfolk. A
couple of hundred miles on a mixture of A and B roads with Stop/Start
disabled and still that damn light stays blinking merrily away.
Have just looked again in engine bay and ashamed to admit still unsure re location of bonnet alarm switch.
There is what looks to be a switch housing immediately underneath the latch lever but I can only see one (thick) cable coming from it.
Further along to the left and just in front of the yellow handled dip stick is what might be a junction box and this has both a thin and a slightly thicker cable.
With my lack of expertise I think it might be prudent to get the disabling done by an auto electrician. Probably take all of five minutes !!
JP

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
starting is when the most damage is done to any engine as it has to mechanically build oil pressure<div abp="1635">
<div abp="1636">The e12 is full of electrical gremlins, its not unheard of the odd good one escaping the factory
<div abp="1636">
<div abp="1636">owners are going to get a shock when it come time to replace the battery as even the cheapest EFB batteries are north of £120
<div abp="1636">
<div abp="1636">factory batteries a under/borderline spec'd due to cost savings

·
Registered
40 Posts
So far so good, the stop start continues to work.
Realistically I am too lazy to top up the battery with a charger every fortnight so we'll see how long it lasts.
Am glad to have it back, its smoother than switching the engine off at the many traffic light controlled road works we seem to have here lately.

161 - 180 of 200 Posts