Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discovered today its really simple ...battery is below 95% capacity stop start wont work .
Think we all knew this one .

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
see my posts on page 14 it gives you all the required parameters for the stop/start

·
Registered
263 Posts
flash22 said:
see my posts on page 14 it gives you all the required parameters for the stop/start 
When you see all the conditions that need to be met before it kicks in, its a miracle it ever works at all

·
Registered
24 Posts
Potter said:
flash22 said:
When you see all the conditions that need to be met before it kicks in, its a miracle it ever works at all
Today I discovered from a chap who has worked at my dealership for 5 years and who has known me that long that the alternator isn't active all the time the engine is running.
From what he said it kicks in at about 20-30mph .Why ? so that there isn't as much resistance/load on the engine for the stop-start. Short journeys barely charge the battery and dribbling along in traffic jams is a killer . He even went as far to say don't put the accessories on when you are waiting for someone in a shop as it puts all the systems on not just the radio . In hushed tones he said get a battery charger and top it up once a month.
I don't know if any of this is BS but it makes sense why I have a colossally big battery under the bonnet. Clearly none of the above is a selling point for Nissans but he said it was a universal problem, to meet emissions standards a lot has had to be sacrificed .. I do trust that I've got someway towards the truth about this. I wish there had been a bit more transparency in the owners manual
.I'm O.K with chucking my battery on a charger once a month _ I'm a scientist by trade and make allowances for the limitations of kit .

Hope this helps someone

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The alternator charges the moment the engine starts, the bs Nissan come out with pmsl<div abp="1375">
<div abp="1376">oh that's right you have no lights or power steering or even heater/hvac below 30 mph

<div abp="1376">
<div abp="1376">Be careful charging this type of battery (EFB) as they need to be charge in a certain way there designed for rapid drain and charge

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I was told that when you start your car in the morning, just turn the key and let it tick over, the alternator didn't start charging until you gave it a few revs (just blip the throttle), seems as though I was miss informed?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its a generator, even at idle its outputting voltage/current - back in the days of magnetos and dynamos that would be true - think of a bike the faster you pedalled the brighter the light, starting off the lights would flicker and be dim<div abp="1515">
<div abp="1516">once you start a car you can remove the battery as the power is supplied by the alternator as the large current draw is done at starting even more so with a diesel on a cold morning, the more electrics in cars the higher the demand so newer cars need better charging systems to cope

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
"Got it wrong again dad"
.This will soon reach page 16
, could even go on too page 20
Thething is, people (Newbies) have problems with their Stop/start not working, and instead of starting on page 1 of this subject,and reading every post (OK the posts do drift a bit), They just flip through to the end, and still don't have a clue
It's a typical thing with the male species, cannot be bothered to read instructions, it seems the same with forum subjects

By the time I've finished, we could be on page 16

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
you asked a question and I gave you a answer
<div abp="1665">
<div abp="1666">the stop start section of the esm goes to 2-300 pages add that to 48 pages of the warning chimes and 176 pages for drivers assistance and cruise and that's without the 1917 pages on the engine control systems

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I'm talking about the actual subject, "auto stop/start", it's the same old questions.You and Nigel, both know a lot about electrics, you give good advice, but the answers you give, just don't seem to sink in.
The best thing to do is just turn it off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Note is the 4th car we have owned with stop/start and they have all been exactly the same i.e. they only work part of the time. During a very cold snap on winter stop/start did not work for the whole of January and February, came back to life half way through March.

We turn it off in heavy traffic, nothing worse than the engine stopping just as you intend setting off and with the engine off the climate does not operate.

But rest assured it actually saves very little fuel. It helps in the official tests but that about it. It does save £££'s of your VED but batteries are V expensive.

Don't worry about it, its working like it should. You don't want a system like they fitted to some Citroens and Fiats which stopped the car religiously but on occasions would not restart due to a low battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just glad the topic hasn't been binned!

My recently purchased 2014 tekna 1.5dci manual has just developed this flassing light fault. Will see if it resolves itself over next few days, if not still has 4 months manufacturer warranty so I'll be popping in there if necessary

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Hi Ian

If your green light is blinking, try depressing the clutch pedal sharply, perhaps twice.

This works for me every time.

Regards

Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
stecks said:
Hi Ian

If your green light is blinking, try depressing the clutch pedal sharply, perhaps twice.

This works for me every time.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter, have tried that but should that be when driving or when stationary?

Ian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thought this had been answered to death but Hey Ho .The problem is with your battery ,thats it , it has fallen below 90% charge.I had the same issue it went in for service and got sorted .I asked them and they were honest - stop start sucks the life from your battery .He also told me that to increase milage the alternator isnt engaged all the time to reduce stress on the engine and give those extra miles in the statstics . Up shot is that short journeys the alternator may not be engaged if you are under 20 MPH and he said the best way to charge the battery is over 50 on the motorway.

also eco-mode will basically shorted the life of your oil and cause the orange engine management light to come on alarmingly as well,That will disable cruise control BTW
When the battery is low your stop start is disbled hence the warning. There are no OBD fault codes to clear just recharge your battery using a proper stop-start charger and the light will go out .
I never use stop start or eco mode since that conversation - havent seen any difference in my milage also no green flasing light .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pcd thanks for your reply

Tone could've been better - yes I've read through the 16 pages but hey I may have missed the post about the battery. Sorry for doing so.

I'll take it into Nissan and see what they can do

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad to have read all 16 pages.

Interesting that the fix descends into "superstition and black magic" i.e. no rational explanation for the clutch depress fix

You can guess it didn't work for me!

So I'll charge the battery. I'm assuming that low charge is the real cause.
But I have read that I need a new "smart charger" rather than the hardly used 20+ year old charger that sits in my garage must be used.
I'm sure my old one would work on an old style battery so can anyone advise if I need to update to a smart charger?

Thank you again.
I really appreciate this site and enjoy my Note although it is the most problematic <2 year old car that I've owned (new tyres, new suspension bushes, tightened belt....)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unusually I haven't received a reply so please accept my apologies if my attempt at humour upset you.

Anyway my last post showed my genuine ignorance about battery technology.
As an update my battery is part number 22410JD22A which I understand is an "EFB" - Enhanced Flooded Battery.

I've then read that I do indeed need one of the new "smart chargers" to safely charge an EFB battery.

We have a couple of long drives at the weekend so I'll see if the battery gains enough charge through that. If not and depending on future performance I may resort to using a smart charger at weekends just to keep it topped up.

I had no idea that this problem existed (or that batteries had moved on in design). Hope this may be able to help someone else who finds themselves in the same position.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Sadly EFB designs mean that the good old reliable simple charger of the past is useless (I trained as a battery engineer).

The Yuasa description of their charging requirements sums it up well

Charge voltage is critical with these types of batteries as both are
recombinant batteries. This means that the oxygen that is normally
produced on the positive plate in all lead acid batteries recombines
with hydrogen given off by the negative plate. The recombination of the
hydrogen and oxygen produces water, which recycles back to the battery
acid. Any failure of the charger to 'slope' the voltage down at the end of the charge cycle means that the battery is being 'cooked' resulting in much shorter life and premature failure.

Personally I would not put an EFB battery in a car (they are low-end and therefore cheap to car makers). They are really only suitable for low-end stop start systems like the Note.

Far better and fitted to 'better' cars is the AGM battery.

AGM batteries are built using glass mat separators which enable all
the electrolyte required by the battery to be stored within the glass
mat, also allowing any gasses given off during charging to be recombined
into water meaning that the batteries are totally maintenance free. The
design benefits of the glass mat over conventional flooded batteries
enable the battery pack to operate under higher pressure without the
fear of insufficient electrolyte between the plates, leading to the step
change in durability offered by AGM batteries over flooded batteries and faster recovery in stop/start cycles.

I have never had an AGM battery fail.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
wot he said ^^^ the cheapestEFB start around £110 and go up to well over £200, I can see many stop start notes (E12)@ 5 years old, getting a standard battery<div abp="1749">
<div abp="1750">another thing to point out is you cant mix EFB and AGM systems as they use different methods for charging (on car)

141 - 160 of 200 Posts