Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the blinky light problem and found if it came on while driving, pressing the clutch down to the floor brings it back to normal. i dont know why it does come just an odd symptom i guess

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have recently developed this same 'blinking' problem...

The first time, my engine warning light (malfunction indicator light) also illuminated orange, and the car went into some kind of limp mode. I had it hooked up to a diagnostic machine which indicated a problem with an inlet valve, so I had an oil change, with the tank drained and flushed, a new oil filter fitted and new oil.

This was only a week ago and ever since the car has been running great.... until this morning

It has now gone into limp mode again, the auto stop/start system indicator is blinking green yet the malfunction indicator light isn't illuminated....

Does anyone have any ideas? From reading through this thread it seems like it could be a battery issue, but could anyone be a little more specific?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am about to eat a huge portion of humble pie
I think its a software glitch .
Reset the error codes with an OBD2 readers even if none show
it put out my flashing auto stopstart light .

Hope this may shed further light (not flashing )on this issue.
If you want to read what happened its below .

I believed the nice man at my dealership and he was probably not being entirely honest ....

(i can hear the tuts of righteous indignation from the forum members )
To recap :- "its the battery voltage sir"
Sure enough my flashing/blinking annoyance came on and my voltage was 12.3V
I stuck it on a charger and it wouldn't rise above this .
Long story short I replaced the battery , it was 5 1/2 years old so hey ho . It now has a brand new fully charged battery ........surely this will solve the problem
My flashing/blinking annoyance was still on . (much profanity)
However having dealt with PCs for years a thought occurred
I stuck my OBD2 reader on .
It showed no errors as it did the last three times this has happened.
Normally i would profane my way back in doors book it in to the dealer and they would perform magic that mere muggles cannot comprehend and the light would go out .
However ....Out of bu####ance I asked it reset the " non existent codes" .
It took a bit longer than usual , which was slightly concerning ( UH OH ive broken my car
) it duly finished and said it couldn't find any codes to reset ,
However it did do something , when i started the engine the light was off , i sat there staring at the dash like a lemon for at least 5 minutes unable to comprehend i might have found an answer and praying it wouldnt just come back on ..... Oh Joy !

Of all the great things about this car I cant believe how annoying this light is and how really insignificant it actually is , it doesn't both me that the stop start doesn't work its the light that bothers me esp as it look like Ive left an indicator on .

·
Registered
40 Posts
A further update:My car is nearing the end of its warranty so I booked it in to get the Stop / Start fixed. I was told the battery is fine but had low charge when I brought it in. I questioned this because I had fully charged it 7 days ago, and then asked how they reset the system and the light. They said they had to reset the car using their diagnostics tool so PCD seems to found the answer for when the black arts such as pressing the clutch etc don't work

I'm missing my radio pass so asked them if the had my radio code, and was told no it's not in the system, and that they had charged the battery in the car (like I do). Therefore I remain reluctant to try resetting by disconnecting the battery which someone said worked in a previous post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI My Nissan Note tekna 1.5 dci 63 plate does not have a radio code .The battery was replaced and it all works fine . I think this is because the radio actually has some of then cars systems in it . eg lane departure can be switch on and off from the system menu .
I think i have hit on something because the stop start has behaved fine since i reset the codes with an OBD2 reader , they arent expensive , but for three days i had a new battery and a flashing light .
HTH

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
AFAIK they are coded to the car now thus obviating the need to muck around with codes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member. Whenever I go on a long journey, the auto light eventually flashes, after about 150 miles. I then start to lose power when going uphill. Eventually the orange engine light comes on. If I stop, the engine cools down and the auto light stops flashing, but the orange light has been triggered, and once the engine has warmed up again, I see the flashing light and loss of power again. Any suggestions please? Thankyou in advance.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
If any warning lights come on while driving, just stop at your earliest convenience, you could be doing damage to your engine, and get it looked at ASAP. As for the stop/start, his problem has been covered many times before. As you can see this post has 189 posts, with this hot weather, you have your aircon on and if the battery drops just a fraction, the cars brain cuts out the stop/start.
It won't work when the engine is cold, so when you first start off in the morning it won't work.
There are many sites that tell you the ins and outs of a ducks @rse about the stop/start system, if you really want to find out all about it, I'll let you look, because I'm not bothered about stop/start, they didn't fit them to the E11

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just as well they didn’t fit that on the E11. More trouble than its worth at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flashing ....you get the gist

My 2014 Nissan Note has just returned from having a new starter motor, and stop/start battery, after the last motor gave up the ghost and the car refused to start. Handily it had killed the battery too *joy*

First drive out, stop/start working as normal so I carried on as per.

70 miles down the road, having driven at motorway speeds for 3/4 of the journey, I've an annoying flashing stop/start light.

Will try the clutch trick but can see me disconnecting the switch and just turning it off as I rarely drive around town and need stop/start.

#irritating

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Their are many people who love their stop/start system, but I think the majority lie on the "bloody useless" camp.
I'm in the Polo forum and the amount of members who have the adaptive cruise control with the DSG box (auto) say it's dangerous as when they want to do a fast get away, at a roundabout they put their foot down and it's not fast enough to react. There's members with the Polo GTI (198 BHP) who use the ECO button, you just cannot believe it?
When I get mine, it'll be turned off. It's as useful as the Note ECO button.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry I havent read the whole thread but here's my contribution.
Seeing other people having obvious problems with stop start system - I take the view on my 2014 DCi that the stop start did its job when it achieved zero road tax. I start my car and IMMEDIATELY turn the stop start off.
My cousin has a Juke and has had 2 batteries and a new starter motor - and always uses stop start.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Their are many people who love their stop/start system, but I think the majority lie on the "bloody useless" camp.
I'm in the Polo forum and the amount of members who have the adaptive cruise control with the DSG box (auto) say it's dangerous as when they want to do a fast get away, at a roundabout they put their foot down and it's not fast enough to react. There's members with the Polo GTI (198 BHP) who use the ECO button, you just cannot believe it?
When I get mine, it'll be turned off. It's as useful as the Note ECO button.
SH, what do you mean by "bloody useless camp"? I have had stop/start on previous cars, eg Mercs , over several years, and while I didn’t like it on the auto, the manual was fine.

I think the Note's system is good, at least on the CVT, as IME you can control it by varying the pressure on the brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've read through a few of the comment's on the stop start, some seem similar to the issue I'm having! I have a Nissan Note made 2014. I was wondering if any of you get loss of power when the auto stop start light starts flashing? One time on the motorway the light started flashing and the power reduced fairly quickly and I was down to 30mph (quite scary on a motorway) and the other day on my way to work, (I work nights and it was 1c) the light was again flashing and pulling away I could barely get any power and could go no faster than 20mph. I've had various things replaced (I've only had the car 10mths!) - battery, coils, drive belt, oxygen sensor, solenoid valve. I'm going to try the clutch next time the light comes on as I've read some of you have had success with that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, My 2014 Note Tekna 1.5 diesel had the same problem of flashing start stop auto light. I read loads (including this thread) about various ways to "fix" it. The problem started for me one morning when I started the car ... The car started but it turned over slower than normal before starting. But it did start. I noticed that the Auto start stop light was flashing on the dash. I tried to recondition the battery with a smart charger but when it had finished I looked at the indicator window on the top of the battery it was black so ordered an equivalent battery match from tayna Exide 027 EFB Car Battery 60Ah EL600 .... charged the new battery with my smart charger and swapped over the battery ... Still did not fix the flashing even after a couple of weeks driving. The bit that stopped the flashing for me was when i connected an ELM327 bluetooth obd2 adapter (just one I had kicking around for ages) to the car and installed Carista on my android phone. It connected and ran through a set of scans for about 15 minutes (engine was off but the ignition was on) It found 2 errors (Sorry but I should have paid more attention but I don't know which one fixed it) I cleared both and and the auto start stop light went out. The errors were as follows :

Body / convenience system B261F ASCDE CANCEL SW CONTINUOUSLY ON FAIL
Energy Management P1656 Engine restart bypass relay

I'd say it hit a problem on the initial start due to a dying battery but then had faults that would not clear without software intervention that set the Auto start stop light flashing !

Time will tell if the light comes back on but for now the annoying flashing has stopped !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
e dealer ?
He also told me that to increase milage the alternator isnt engaged all the time to reduce stress on the engine and give those extra miles in the statstics . Up shot is that short journeys the alternator may not be engaged if you are under 20 MPH and he said the best way to charge the battery is over 50 on the motorway.

a
Hi!!!

Just checked this tonight [yes yes flashing green light is flashing] volts across battery terminals car STATIONARY IE
0 MPH :)

idle 12.9v
2000 12.9v
3000 12.9v

I haven't actually tried this running alongside [I'm 61 mind] so alternator is ROAD SPEED dependent for output, am I correct?

It has also been cold here 0 to 4C car was driven 26 miles twice then taken 12 miles, left in car park 2 hours, driven 3 miles only for the green light to start flashing as we pulled into a supermarket parking slot....

Oh and cruise still does not engage but [useless] limiter does.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts