Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Took delivery of our New Note last week. Quite impressed so far.

The auto stop/start has been working fine, when the engine is up to temperature and the battery is happy, the motor stops when stationary and when in neutral with the clutch out. Starts OK when the clutch is depressed, or if I start to roll forwards.

Coming home from an evening out today, noticed the Green Eco Off indicator on the main dashboard was blinking. No mention of this is the handbook. Eco Stop didn't kick in when I came to a stop, but then it doesn't every time.

Eco Stop/Start switch down by the door hasn't been deactivated, so the Eco Stop Start should be working.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas please?

If not, I will return to the main dealer for their thoughts.

Cheers

Stecks

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
So few people here with, or even intending to buy, the new Note that I guess it's a 'dealer problem'.

Welcome to the Forum BTW.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I hate to think of the wear and tear on the starter motor and ring gear from the Eco stop start units used by most manufacturers, the only one I've seen that looks good is the Mazda system of positioning the crank and firing one cylinder to start the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

My brother in law has a new VX Astra, fited with the new start stop, which initialyy he thought a total gimick and considered turning it off.

He got used to it thought then one day noticed it wasnt working, not stopping when hand brake applied and in neutral etc.

After a few forum searches he found out that the Auto stop wont kick in if your running your air-con/climate control, as its job is to keep the car at a cooler/at a set temperature.

He did see reports of Vauxhall spending fortunes on diagnostics on sensors and even chat of a repalcement engine in one case to try and rectify the fault.

Maybe try turning the Air-con/cliamte control off and see if it rectifies itself?

Thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, and for the welcome.

I too was unsure about the on/off system... for all the reasons you state - wear and tear on the starter motor, flywheel teeth etc.

On the up-side, I also noted from the previous car - Yaris, the amount of 'down time' the system recorded when the motor was 'resting'. It was a huge amount of accumulated time, so I guess you either save on fuel today... or you pay for new starter ring/ starter motor down the line...

More worrying for me with the Yaris was the requirement to floor the clutch in order to make the car start! I recall Hillman Imps with carbon clutch thrust bearings, which used to wear and/or break up after a short time! I was assured by the 'salesman' that modern clutch thrust bearings were designed for the purpose. Salesmen eh! Fortunately the Note doesn't need the clutch flooring in order to start.

I don't run the air con. When you select Auto for the heater the air-con comes on, but I always turn it off.

The fault isn't that the system doesn't come on - its the blinking (slow flash) of the warning light which I am asking about.

I will get onto the dealer today - I just wondered if it was UE... (User Error) which it might be...

Whatever it is I will report back.

You know, we had three Toyota Yaris and we never had a single fault in all those years. We've had the Note for 6 days, and its falling apart...

stecks

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
have you tried using the spare key ?? iirc the Nissan stop/start is fairly new, the micra has had it for 3-4 years tbh there is not much on the subject on the net

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curiouser and curiouser.

This afternoon, the blinkin' light stopped blinking and the Auto Stop was OK again. All was well with the world.

I went to the Main Dealer anyway, and the lady on reception dutifully relayed my message over the phone to someone she referred to as Master Tech. Interestingly, he was sat on the other side of a thin partition, and I heard his reply. "I haven't a bloody clue".

So she advised me that they weren't sure what this was, and did I want to book it in for them to download the fault codes...

Its going in this week anyway to have a tow bar fitted, so they will hook it up to the Hurdy Gurdy and see what faults show up.

I suspect there is no fault.

I think its an undocumented feature...

I suspect the blinking light indicates something in the system which means the auto stop start isn't happy to operate.

I will get to the bottom of it, but I may have to email Sunderland, or even better Yokahama

Having said all that, I amreallyenjoying the car

Regards

stecks

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
iirc if there is a load on the engine ie, the lights on or the blower/heater on, or a low current to the battery the stop/start may not engage
what sort of daily runs do you do ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flash22 said:
iirc if there is a load on the engine ie, the lights on or the blower/heater on, or a low current to the battery the stop/start may not engage

I think I understand this. But what I need to know is what does the Green Blinking Auto/Stop warning on the dash indicate?

I am thinking it must mean that the Auto Stop Start is inactive for one of the reasons you state, plus a whole load more in the handbook...

Only had the jockey for 6 days. First day we went to Lancaster, then back the following day. Since then mainly town driving.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Might as well throw in my threepenneth..... My cousin's just had a KA with 'you know what' ...her 'blinking light' came on & according to the handbook it does that if you drive slowly (which she does!!!!) like on a carpark...it'll switch itself off.....ah well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tuppence worth here - as far as I understand, the stop-start systems don't work when the external temperature is too low (below a set temperature) so could be this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
freddieflintoff said:
Tuppence worth here - as far as I understand, the stop-start systems don't work when the external temperature is too low (below a set temperature) so could be this?

Yes. It could easily be this.

Again, I am happy with the system not turning the engine off due to the ambient temperature being quite low - about 2 or 3 degrees C as it was last night.

This morning it was warmer - about 6 degrees C, and the green light was still flashing.

Later today, the green light stopped flashing and the cut out worked fine.

I just don't understand why the Green light on the dash blinked...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I 'm having the same problem. Contacted my dealer who informs me that in certain conditions the Auto stop doesn't work e.g when using several electrical items such as rear heated window, lights, windscreen demist. (all the things you use in an English winter)
Their advice is to switch off the auto (switch is on driver's side by the wing mirror controls) when the switch is illuminated then the auto is deactivated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi abbapanda

Hmm.

Not sure this covers the issue?

When I deactivate the stop-go system with the switch on the drivers side by the wing mirror controls, the green light still flashes

When the system is working OK, and when the system doesn't want to cut out - i.e. when the system determines that the battery isn't up to par - then the auto cut out simply doesn't kick in. In other words the engine wont auto stop - it just keeps running. The green light doesn't blink under these conditions..

When the system is satisfied with the state of the battery etc, then it will kick in. In other words it will auto stop the engine. Under these conditions the green light comes on and stays on - indicating that the engine is in stop mode.

What I am describing is the green dashboard warning light - the one which illuminates green when the engine is stopped - this green light starts blinking. Some call if flashing, others call it blinking. To me it looks like a warning light, and because it flashes constantly when I am driving, it keeps drawing my attention to it. It also flashes green, similar to the left indicator turn which it just above it. At night it is distracting as well as annoying.

It happened again over the weekend, and I called into the garage. This time I was able to speak with a mechanic, rather than the lady behind the desk... and he understood what I said, and said his Juke (same system as Note and Juke and Micra) also did it from time to time. He thought it was because he was thrashing it down the motorway...

This time I asked the chap if he would phone Sunderland and ask. He said he would. I suggested that if this happens a lot, then rather than saying "No bloody idea" which was the initial response, then perhaps they would rather know. He smiled ans said he would rather know, but stopped short of agreeing with me that he might not be able to sleep at night if this was bugging him and he didn't know

Again. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for you thoughts as well.

Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Peter

Looks like your problem is different to mine as when I deactivated the auto switch, the green auto sign did stop flashing.
The flashing green light I was referring to is the same as you too are commenting upon.

I've used the car today and deactivated the auto which meant the engine kept running when I stopped at junctions.
The one annoying aspect is when you park up, come back to the car then you have to remember to deactivate the auto again.

Later on in the day, when I felt confident that the battery was fully charged I drove the car using the auto mode. Everything went well and there was no flashing auto light on the dashboard.

I think Nissan would be wise to suggest to British drivers to only consider using the auto mode during the day when the demister, rear heated window and lights are not being used1

Have you considered writing to Sunderland?

Isn't modern technology wonderful lol!!!
Ruth

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ruth.

I will contact Sunderland if I don't get the right answers.

The garage we bought it from said they would chase it up with Sunderland. Given my cynicism, I'll give them a couple of weeks then I will contact Nissan directly. I haven't given Nissan my feedback on the 'Procurement Experience' yet... I don't want to fall out with anybody, but I do want an answer...

Keep you all posted when I hear something.

Otherwise, we love the car...

It'll be summat and nowt you watch.

Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts

This is my second NOTE and I love it too. Just a case of getting used to it's idiosyncrasies!

I haven't had a request to complete a " Procurement Experience"

I'd be interested to read any feedback you do receive from Sunderland.

Regards
Ruth

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a call from the dealer today.

Nissan need more information, so I am to book the car in in the New Year to go on the hurdy gurdy, and if in the meantime the fault shows up again, I should pop round so they can take a look at it.

Can't say farer than that.

At the moment he is stopping and staring like a good'un.

Happy Christmas all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Peter

Sounds like things are moving and hopefully Nissan will accept that there's a problem.
The very least they can do is inform all dealers and make an amendment to the handbook.

Best wishes for Christmas and happy driving in 2014!
(prefer a wine but don't seem to have that icon)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update.

First of all Happy New Year.

The blinkin' light has reappeared and disappeared twice since I last posted.

Earlier this week the engine management warning light came on orange, as did the antiskid warning light. Car performed well, with no 'limp home' mode.

They stayed on for about 12 hours, then disappeared as fast as they came.

Its booked in for the 8th.

Still like the car all the same...

1 - 20 of 198 Posts