Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me? I have a problem with the shift solenoid on a 1.6 Auto Note but can't find where the solenoids are on the Gearbox. I can find the solenoid on the wiring diagram but the manual I have doesn't show the location on the box.

Help.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The shift solenoids are located on the valve block, accessed by draining all the fluid, and removing the oil pan. So you will need a new gasket, and new fluid just to look at them.

TBH they rarely give trouble, check the wiring connector at the front of the gearbox, and the wiring in general for chafing.
There are pages of stuff that can go wrong, what is the problem?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi, they look like they are in the bottom oil control plate, this is probably inside of the sump plate. Check by getting underneath, there is a master connector for all 4 solenoids then there are 4 solenoids all in a line in the oil control plate, if you cannot see four round solenoid bodies from the outside then it's sump plate removal time, not recommended for someone with no experience.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
make sure your wearing clean gloves the tinyest bit of grit will cause havoc with an auto box
what colour is the fluid ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replys.

The Gearbox won't change gear and from what I can find in the manual I have, if it has a fault on the gearbox it goes into a safe mode and the box sticks in 3rd. One of the fault that came up was Shift Solenoid but there was also a speed sensor fault. Could the 2 be connected?

I've checked the oil level and colour, it's a nice red colour and the level is ok. The car has only done 6k miles.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Then you should have a error code logged and a warning light on the dash, the error code will determine whether it's the speed sensor or the solenoid. Personally I'd look at the speed sensor as you can change that from the outside.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
If there is any sort of warranty with the car- use it and don't mess.

If it is out of warranty, and you want to take a punt- change the speed sensor, this is on the outside of the gearbox. It will go into safe mode if it can't read the turbine speed.

There are two, I'm assuming turbine speed sensor, otherwise the speedo wouldn't work.

Probably only cost you £100 too.

Personally, I'd double and triple check all the wiring connectors. I've never heard of a turbine sensor failing before, corroded/broken/parted connectors are far more likely.

If the sensor is £100, you might be better paying for an expert diagnosis rather than simply throwing money at it, these fault codes sometimes point to the wrong item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll do a bit more digging around before I buy anything, car is driveable just using a little more fuel then it should (34mpg).

Don't have a warrenty, bought the car from a body shop after the previous owner wouldn't agree to the price for repair, bought parts from scrappys all over the UK and got it back together, just need to sort the little problems.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
try another speed sensor from a scrappy as a diagnostic swap, also check for bad connections as body shops usually aren't to careful with the cables etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts