Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't taken delivery yet of an 09Tecna 1.6 auto, but does the "overdrive" button do what the old overdrives did, ie., raise the top gear ratio. Is there anywhere you can download a user manual for it. It's a couple of weeks till I get it and I'm a bit impatient to find out these things!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It sort of works like that, for normal driving leave it in overdrive and the box will use it above a certain speed and engine temperature, switch it off for long slow hills or controlled descents etc. I've only used it once and that was because I switched it off during cleaning!

·
Registered
109 Posts
as md says, just leave it on and the gearbox will cope with it for you, i have left it on without any problems, once you get to 40mph the box changes up to the final gear and if you are light footed will go into overdrive almost straight away, certainly by the time you are doing 45mph again only if you are light footed, if you drive with a lead foot, dont expect it until you get into the 50 - 55mph range

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It is something the Japanese invented. The 4th gear on Japanese autos is actually what it says on the tin, an overdrive.
Normally you leave it alone and it just uses the 4 gears and lockup as normal. If you are towing, or driving in the Alps, then they advise pressing that button to prevent it hunting 3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4 (which will break some expensive internal part, most likely wear a clutch out)
I'm not sure if it will lock up with OD off, but why would you want it to, if it is capable of lockup, it should be in 4th anyway.

I think the gearbox is capable of learning to an extent how you drive it. Mine seems to finally be getting the idea that it should be in 4th as soon as the wheels start turning, and lock up ASAP. It definitely wouldn't lock up below about 55 when I first got it.

Mine is in 4th at below 30mph on the flat, pressing that ODOFF button forces a downchange.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Opinions vary as to the use of the overdrive on an automatic gear box. Some people say that you should not engage it while on trips where you have to stop and start very frequently [i.e. in town]. Certainly, it is advisable to disengage it when going downhill but then if you switch down to second gear in order to save wear on your brake pads there seems no point in doing so.

Moving out of overdrive can help to reduce speed when approaching a junction, etc., again saving use of the brakes and thus prolonging the life of the pads.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
David_B, I don't know where you get this from but it is incorrect to use an auto in such a way, for all normal driving whether it is town or not just put it in drive and let the box do what it wants unless you are going down steep hills or slowly going up hills or snowy conditions, the idea of using the lever to change ratio's to save brake pads is an urban myth that needs eradicating, as all your doing is moving the wear to the auto clutches in the long term and they are 45 times more expensive than brake pads.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its not a overdrive as in the old sence more of sportier map in o/d the map allows the car to rev higher and the gearbox will stay longer in one gear before changing up
never use an auto box like a manual for engine braking this will cook the oil and kill the clutches and solenoids what can be a full rebuild costing anything for 800 up

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
According to the manual, 3rd gear is 1.0:1, 4th is 0.697:1 (the output turns faster than the engine) so it is what I would call an overdrive. Just the funny way that the Japanese make their cars, the autos have much larger diff ratios than the manuals, so they gear up the transmission to compensate, must be a good reason, but I don't know what it is. (Suzuki and Toyota are the same)

With ODoff selected, it will never go up into 4th, but it does lock up at about 60mph, and unlocks again at 58.
Without it, it should lock at around 47-52 and unlock at 40-35.

To echo what has been said, as a general rule the brakes are for stopping, the engine and transmission are for going, despite what your Driving Instructor* told you.

Obviously if you are descending Killimanjaro, you would do it in 1 at walking pace because the brakes would soon set on fire, but I'd expect the transmission to get a bit hot.

(*Mine must have said "the engine is the most powerful brake on the car" and "hold your finger on the button when pulling up the handbrake" about 1000 times, and I still remember it over 30 years later. I never never the button when I pull the handbrake on, I like to count the clicks, and I used to have a Vauxhall that would release the handbrake if the ratchet wasn't fully engaged)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
my instructor got fed up with me " analysing my driving"
brake, brake,brake, clutch in ,down to 3rd in to second and around the corner and then if i made a mistake i would talk it through

i reckon the roads would be a better place if we had to ride a motor bikes for a few days before learning to driveimho it teaches you a lot of road craft

even to this day vauxhalls have dodgy handbrakes !!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My other other car is a motorbike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts