Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the thing, I hate the look of sunken wheels on the vehicle body!!!
I plan to buy put some wheel spacers on, 3/4inch or 1/2inch, not too thick, but still, I worry about the safety.
'Cause I saw some terrible pics on the internet of the wheels jump out bcz of wheel spacers.
So I search for some proof of WHEEL SPACERS SAFETY, and here's a result that I got from the internet.
Hope there's somebody can tell me that it is true that wheel spacers are safe only if I treat them right.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Years ago i did fit spacers on my Land rover that i owned at the time.
The first issue that I'd consider today is what my insurance company would allow, and obviously you'd need to tell them as it's a modification.
Some vehicles need longer wheel studs fitted depending on how deep the spacers are.
I guess the safest route is to ask a Nissan main dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are using the original wheels after the spacers are fitted, they will put a torsional load on the wheel bearings and reduce their life. With spacers you should have new wheels which keep tyres centred over the wheel bearings... ie you need fatter wheels and tyres!

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Spacers/longer wheel bolts, can put extra strain on the wheel bearings, as spacers increase the leverage on them. Wider wheels could be an answer, but an expensive one.
As said before, check with the dealer and Insurance company.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have used spacers before and 10 - 15 mm will not put much extra strain on the bearings and will not change the geometry. Some aftermarket Nissan wheels with a smaller ET would do the same - move the wheel out further. You are limited with the Note's hub design as the wheel slots onto threads in the hub. If you go up to 20mm you might have to use spacers with bolts attached.
You can use your current wheels and tyres!!
The insurance company will not be too interested as long as the car is "road worthy".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure of the validity of the last sentence above, certainly not as a ‘blanket’ assertion - admittedly, the insurers may not want more than to note (sorry) the mod in their records, but in my experience, if you don’t advise them, it can leave you open to declined claims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts