Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new here. Read a bit on the water in boot and rear foot Wells. I'm just starting investigation thought would post some pics should anyone find it useful.
Removed rear lights and reflectors. Crud under reflectors I suspect holding back water and seals broken causing ingress. I had two inch water in boot and both rear foot Wells soaking... journey continues.photos show ingress at one of each side reflector fixing point. Also possibly ingress lower fixing screw of main cluster. Also ingress top stop light. Water inside of panels. Suspect water running down inside of rubber fixing where electric cables run

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nice bit of info for anyone else with this issue.
Looks like a job for Mr Silicone Sealant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bit of info for anyone else with this issue.
Looks like a job for Mr Silicone Sealant.
Thanks, I'm hoping it's just these few points of the ingress and silicon will do the job. Bought the note 2010 model only last year, did see slight wet between join of cealing and rear after few weeks, didn't think too much of it. Guess the water has been coming in for many months, seen condensation on windows more recently. Will post as I progress and hopefully remedy. The wife's fuming over it. I see it as a challenge ). May get it on ramps to locate plugs under the footwell to release the water.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It might also be worth checking the water delivery tube for the rear wash wipe.
They sometimes work loose or split.

·
Registered
34 Posts
interesting, im sure youve read my post too. thanks for this, ill check my lamp clusters too when it finally stops raining.

incidentally, if we're going to start siliconing all these little ingress points, is bathroom silicone good enough or does it need to be exterior silicone?

thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
If it were me i would play safe and go with exterior.
I suppose bathroom sealant would do the job but it's not as effective as exterior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been out this morning, before and after silicon pics in various locations. Am using RTV silicon designed for gasket metal on metal but sure it's good for this issue too. I used it previously for sealing inspection cover on a sump I think it was. Silicon can be used apparently even in minus temperatures. Bathroom silicon I believe will do the job too. I'm hoping now all the gutter way is clear it won't block up and water hang about the two fixing points of the reflectors. Haven't yet dealt with rear top light.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting, im sure youve read my post too. thanks for this, ill check my lamp clusters too when it finally stops raining.

incidentally, if we're going to start siliconing all these little ingress points, is bathroom silicone good enough or does it need to be exterior silicone?

thanks
Actually external silicon I think would be better. Look at datasheet of silicon which you have it should give temperature range. Picture of what I got attached. Halfords have some and eurocarparts.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
ahh silicone in a squeezy tube, i like the look of that. i had to use the silicone gun for the red glass on the high brake light when i came off yesterday. ill get some of that silicone, it should be far easier to apply. and thanks for the pics of places to seal up.
just had a look in the boot after yesterdays rain and theres a trickle coming in from the right hand side rear corner as you look down on it. just cant suss out where its actually coming in from, but thats where its starting to run into the well.

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh silicone in a squeezy tube, i like the look of that. i had to use the silicone gun for the red glass on the high brake light when i came off yesterday. ill get some of that silicone, it should be far easier to apply. and thanks for the pics of places to seal up.
just had a look in the boot after yesterdays rain and theres a trickle coming in from the right hand side rear corner as you look down on it. just cant suss out where its actually coming in from, but thats where its starting to run into the well.

thanks
Hi, same here drops on right hand side same place. No guarantee on the silicone job though am keeping figures crossed . I suspect our spare wheel well was filling up over 2 to 3 months. The carpet was rotton, still drying it out though not sure it will recover. The antenna on top of roof maybe another point of ingress according to other posts on here. Must get my pliers in to release the nuts on that high break light

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, great pictures, will help a lot of owners i’m sure. Just discovered damp rear footwells in my recently aquired Note. Took out spare wheel and noticed holes drilled in bottom of the well so its been filling up and previous owner has done a quick fix. Also boot carpet has has right hand side foam pad ripped off, so probably was soaked. I’ll get the rear clusters off and get to work with the sealant. At least sun is shining here today :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been driving the note last few days and note the water spurt occasionally through the front visor fittings onto steering wheel and front seat. Appears to be another quite common issue. I like the car and £20 car tax 🙂 but these leaks put a damper on the purchase.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mine used to leak from the visor mountings too. And the rear window, And the high level brake light, And somewhere on the bulkhead, it was always damp and you could smell it.
I got rid a,s,a,p and will never touch Nissan cars again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
No.
Trying to stop the leaks was the same as banging my head against a brick wall.
In the end i had had enough and traded it in, and boy was i glad to be rid of it.Worst car i have ever owned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got my fingers crossed 🤞🤞 the pros I see are economy,65 mpg diesel and £20 car tax. Admittedly leaks are annoyingly to say the least. Hopefully weekend is dry to yet again investigate...

·
Registered
957 Posts
At one point i even had a dehumidifer plugged in and running in the car for 48 hours straight.
The car was still damp despite over a litre of water being extracted by the machine.
I also had mould growing on the inside of the bottom window seals in the back doors, as my son has asthma, that was the last resort for me and i got rid.
Hope you manage to find the leaks and rectify them, if you do please let us know as it will help others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine used to leak from the visor mountings too. And the rear window, And the high level brake light, And somewhere on the bulkhead, it was always damp and you could smell it.
I got rid a,s,a,p and will never touch Nissan cars again.
I know exactly what you mean re the damp smell. Every morning mine smells like a dozen tom cats have been marking their territory in the back lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts