Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two flat tyres this morning

(The rims are leaking, because the pc brigade have stopped anybody using the proper paint on the alloy wheels, as discussed elsewhere.)

My choices are

1) go and use up another favour, get the tyres knocked off the rims, sand the rims, etch prime and lacquer, then get the tyres back on and balanced, at mates rates, likely £20 plus a lot of work.

2) get the wheels refurbished, this will eliminate kerbing marks, and repair the rims so they don't leak, probably last another 4 years too.

I'm looking at option 2

What colour should I pick?

Shiny silver

Dark grey

Matt black (satin black if they have it)

The car is red, with black privacy glass & plasticy bits.

The guy at the shop says all the boys are picking anthracite now (I guess that is a very very dark grey)

Anyone got photos of a red note with coloured wheels to post please?

I've had paintshop out, but it isn't brilliant.

silver wheels, silver brightens it up, and makes it look cleaner.

my attempt at black: is it too much black?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Silver for me; black alloys are like marmite in my opinion, you love them or hate them!

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually leaning towards a mid grey rather than black now.

Cynically Sneaky, I had thought aluminium oxide colour so I'd not notice when the paint comes off.

I did paint the rusty wheels on the little Suzuki black, made it look rather shabby IMHO, got a set of bright silver in the end, took years off it when fitted, but I have seen minis in that pale blue, or ivory colour, with black roofs and black wheels looking very smart.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I like the grey alloys on the Colt Ralliart cars, in fact I have fancied one of those little pocket rockets for some time...that's a lot of speed for the money.

Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm liking the grey, got over a week to choose, there is a long waiting list at the wheel refurbishers.

Takes 2 days, with the car standing on the drive sans wheels, £35 + VAT a wheel, tyres off refitted and balanced. (Its £24 more to take the car to them, and they look after it for 2 days on a trading estate....
)

·
Registered
37 Posts
One of the factory colours is what I've always called "brakedust grey". It's wonderful. Your wheels get incredibly filthy before it's noticeable! :)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got them, had to wait an hour whilst they cooled down.
I went for the same grey as the grille and lamp surrounds.

Not too bad, I think bright silver looks better though, but that would have made me feel I'd paid £168 for 2 puncture repairs.
Next time I'll change back to silver

Dunno whether the wheels are rubbish, or the tyres, there must be a kilogram of balance weights stuck on the inside

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
what a reg plate !!! just asbad as BL03 JOB

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did make a slight change to the first character

I would really like bo08 ies but it isn't available....

A girl up the road has a little VW with the reg km08 jzm. Only 1 letter of the alphabet away from being very rude if you have the maturity of a 15 year old, like me.

Anyway, the tyres are still up, so that is a good sign. Chap at the wheel refurbers said the rims were "very bad", so it was worth doing.

Seems like everyone must get wheels under warranty before the 3 years is up.
(Wish the previous owner had bothered)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was thinking about repainting my rims in the grille grey too, They look great! I've painted wheels black on a couple of previous cars. They look great whilst your tyres are nice and new and black, but once they discolour, the wheels look ghastly, unless you're always going to carry a can of tyre black with you!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now they have been done for a while, I wish I'd gone for the original silver.

I could do with another wheel and tyre (one tyre is marginal, due to the problems with the back axle, and now has a puncture, as well as the comedy "spare" wheel being unfit for purpose) so I'll have to stump up another £45 to get it painted to match.
Also, as predicted, despite trying not to go within 6 feet of any curbs, I have still managed to catch the curb once, and with these rubbish expensive low profile tyres the rim takes the impact, and the paint comes off leaving a silver mark that you can see from 500 yards away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel your pain. I repainted the alloys on my last car a graphite colour, and they not only looked crap, they seemed to gain large magnets that drew them towards kerbs. I think, for me, it's silver, or perhaps white from now on. For original wheels, silver is best. Non standard colours just stand out a mile, IMHO. (It hasn't stopped me doing it several times when I've gotten bored with silver
)I'm thinking of getting a second set of 16" for mine, a summer and winter set, as I've already got 'snowies' fitted to these alloys, I may treat myself to a new set of rims in the spring, and keep these just for winter use. They're starting to corrode a little now, and I can't be pestered to refurb them.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you want to clean your alloys and get them 'shiny bright' the best thing to do is to rub them with ELEPHANT DUNG...contact me for best prices. Large stocks available, discounts for orders exceeding 1 tonne. BUYER COLLECTS! B.Y.O.S. (bring your own shovel).
Edited by: SneakyElephant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts