Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nissan Note 1.5 dCi Tekna registered May 2010. I am now told the air conditioning needs servicing. Is this normal after 2 years and should it be free under the 3 year warranty? The local Nissan garage is quoting £64.00 + VAT.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
That's about the same price as my independent guy charges (save for the VAT).

I don't think that the AC is a warranty item as you could consider the refrigerant as a 'consumeable' in the same way as oils and filters.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Afraid they are right. Modern systems are made down to a price, and can barely keep the gas inside, so they leak over time and need topping up every 2 to 3 years. You might get another year out of it if money is tight.

(In The Olden Days stuff was much better engineered, that's why your Gran's 50 year old freezer still reaches -20 and hasn't lost a drop of gas)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I work for a main dealer and yes 2/3 year old cars do seem to need air con services,the more you use it the longer it seemslast.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The reason for them lasting longer when used is because the fluid is recirculated around the system and contains material to ube and kepp the seals in good condition, if not used the seals shrink and then leak. So use the aircon at least once a week, it doesn't need to be for long, just enough to recirculate the fluids.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just had my a/c fixed at an independant in Stockport... initially I was convinced the compressor was knackered as it wouldnt start. But it cost £30 to check the system and electricals.. then another £40 to re-gas (with leak detector). Turns out the compressor wouldnt start as there was no gas (so it doesnt try to run on empty - thank goodness). So far, after nearly two weeks... its fine. So Im hoping it was simply time for a re-gas and nothing more (time will tell).

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
A good AC service guy will vacuum out the system and weigh the refrifgerant removed and then add new refrigerant and leak detector to the manufacturer's approved weight.

That's why the DIY solutions are cr*p. Either too much (over pressure) or too little 'gas' is added.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this info - our Air Con has gone south but our Note is an early 2006 model - sounds like we've got a lot out of it. Hopefully getting into garage this week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got our Air Conditioning fixed by local garage - first time it has ever been topped up in 6 years. £70 all in - Mrs Field very pleased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts