Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have just joined. Two years ago I bought a second hand Nissan note with a 2013 registration plate. I have had a few problems butthe biggest one is a water leak into the rear passenger footwell. I have taken it to Nissan dealers twice at a cost of over £300 but other than a load of unnecessary work they have failed to diagnose or fix the problem. I recently discovered that the carpets dried up when I switched off the A/C. the last dealer claimed to have checked out the A/C and found no leak but when pressed on the issue the manager said that he checked out the tube leading to the outside but that a more detailed search would cost more money. After wasting £300 only to diagnose the problem myself I decided not to waste yet more money at main dealers. I would like a diagram or manual of the A/C unit but cannot find a manual for the car let alone the air conditioning unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paddly

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for replying so promptly. I read the thread you mentioned but two things
1. He/she did not seem to resolve the damp patch issue in the end or did but did not follow it up wth a post.
2. My problem is slightly different in that if I leave the air con switched off the carpets immediately start drying so I know the water must be coming from a tray below the evaporator, I think it is called the blower box.
The dealer insisted that the drain tube was cleared. I am not sure what the model is perhaps you could explain how I find out given that I do not have the log book with me at the moment.
Thanks again
Is it easy to access so that I can have a look?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I updated my thread (I eventually gave up and kept a kilogram of silica gel in the foot well, and kept drying that out.)

Now the air-con has given up the "leak" has stopped, so it must have been condensate not getting down that rubber tube in the floor.

I did spot drips of water running down the transmission tunnel from under the side cover on the passenger side.

So now there is 2 kg of silica gel in there on top of the dash when I park to try and keep the screen clear!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
What happened with mine was that the drain hose (- a bit of cheap plastic hose tight against the bulkhead on the driver's side of the centre console) was disconnected from the drain outlet (it's a push fit).

The dealer checked from under the car and of course, the hose was clear - because it wasn't bloody connected!

Only when I insisted that the dealer drove the car and he ended up with a wet foot did I get it fixed - for free but, of course, no apology.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Thanks MNL for the update, much appreciated <div abp="877">
<div abp="878">edit. on a recent fan thread I did post a image of the heater box setup (lhd) so some parts like the cabin filter are on the other side on rhd notes ( Note. Part #21 this picks up the drain for the top of the box as well as the condensate )
<div abp="878">
<div abp="878">

<div abp="879">
<div abp="880">

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks not a very good outcome. I am back to Nissan customer service and my local Nissan dealer. They offered to take another look and did a spray test and ran the AC. I got the car back with a report that said they had done extensive tests and no leaks were found. However when I got the car back the windows misted up and a finger into the hole under the passenger seat showed plenty of water.
It is going back to the same dealer after much complaining for the 4th time.I will post an update when I get the car back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Part 21 seems to be in two parts I am pretty sure this is where the water is leaking from but I am guessing it is difficult to get to hence the reluctance of the dealers to look there properly. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yesterday I crawled under the car to have a look at where the drain outlet comes out. I now understand why the dealers are so reluctant to deal with a possible leaking Blower box. The outlet is inaccessible it cannot even be seen. It is above the exhaust heat shield and would require some dismantling to get to. So the drain tube seems to be inaccessible at both ends. Has anyone got any suggestions about how to clear a blocked drain tube if that is what it is?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You have taken the same journey as I did I'm afraid.

The only way seems to be to start taking all the centre console out, and hope that it is obvious when you get to the pipe.

I think, (but don't know) that the pipe that comes out above the exhaust is a socket in the floor that the heater box is supposed to sit on. It may be that the heater wasn't fitted properly in Sunderland (which wouldn't surprise me, the build quality is worse than the Rover SD1 I had in the late 1980s)

I had the bright idea of getting an airline to the pipe where it comes out and blowing upwards but couldn't- just getting to see the pipe (which on mine was clearly dripping water) is difficult enough.

As I said earlier, luckily the whole aircon fails after about 40,000 miles and cures the problem. (but brings another- my arms are not long enough to wipe the condensation off the inside of the windscreen!)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
are you sure its not the screen leaking ? the interior of the note comes apart with ease - remove the centre console, and then the cup holder/lower surround that should get you to where you need to be,<div abp="1304">
<div abp="1305">is the engine water level dropping ??
<div abp="1305">
<div abp="1305">where abouts are you in London ?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Padly said:
I haven't much more to go before 40000 miles. Did you try removing the pollen filter?
Yes I changed the pollen filter a few times, when it is blocked you don't get any air coming out, as it is between the fan and the heater/cooler matrices, if it gets damp you get a very musty smell.

The 40,000 miles thing is more to do with running time I reckon, as my average speed is around 12mph it is more like 3500 hours. The corsa air con packed up at around 3000 hours too (no leaks, wouldn't chill, I put a new pump on that, but I'm fairly sure that was the expansion valve, but I got rid as the timing chain was starting to rattle)

As Flash says, Sunderland are not very good at sticking the windscreens in in the first place, or very handy with the seam sealer (and you thought it was all done by precise robots
) so you could have a leak elsewhere. I spent ages chasing a leak in mine, but as I said all is well now the air-con doesn't work, the whole thing is damp rather than a puddle on the passenger side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't be 100% sure about the windscreen but as with mnl the problem seems to go when the AC is kept switched off for a couple of weeks. I am in Ealing. The dealers have offered to remove the carpets to find the source free of charge but they will charge for any further work. I was wondering whether with the pollen filter removed it would be possible to clean out any muck in the base of the heater box.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
eeuw!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
where not talking, west way are we ?

.Wheres that Nigel when you need him !!

Not thought of px'ing the car then ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts