Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the car in winter and didn't check the air conditioning worked at the time.

Now, with some (not much) heat, the air con button was reached for but nothing happened.

Taken to the garage today and apparently the low pressure air con pipe isn't connected and needs replacing at £90 + labour.

Problem is, there's a worry over how long it's been disconnected and if the motor or compressor will be damaged.

Anyone any ideas / experience of this?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If it has been off for a while damp gets in and you need a new drier unit.

It shouldn't hurt the pump as it won't run with no gas pressure.

If the £90 + labour includes a recharge with gas go for it.
However, you have to wonder why the pipe is off in the first place.....

Always ask for an estimate on the labour, they might want to charge £200 an hour for 32 hours work

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I trust them on the labour as they're very honest and never try to add on extras. Quoted me for 2 hours' work at £45 an hour. Gas was included from what I remember.

Any idea on cost of drier unit?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Doesn't look like there is a separate drier unit.
I was thinking of The Olden Days again

Just get the pipe changed and cross your fingers that it works

·
Registered
143 Posts
The drier cylinder is attached to the RH side of the condenser via a clamp bracket. It should be 40mm diameter. If your Note is a petrol model you should see the 'drier through the lower bumper grille. If yours is diesel, you won't see it from the front because the intercooler obscures it.There are at least two versions of the 'drier, according to engine type and I suspect whether manual AC or automatic climate control. What age is your Note, what engine type, and which AC system do you have ?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the condenser is in front of the rad the pot beside it is a refrigerant liquid tank

only problem I can see is the seals have dried out but you will find that out when they fill the system and do a leak detect

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 2006 1.6 automatic with manual a/c (well, it's got dials rather than climate-control style buttons and numbers)

Thanks for your replies. Going in next week so keeping fingers well crossed!

·
Registered
143 Posts
OK - for your 2006 1.6 automatic Note you might care to keep these part numbers handy :

Rec.Drier 92131-2Y920 (previous 92131-2Y960 / 92131-BV00A) - all the same part.

Condenser 92100-BH40A (previous 92100-AX80B / 92100-AX801) - all the same part.

Radiator 21460-AX800 (doubtful you'd need this as your car seems to have separate condenser and radiator, whereas some have combined units - a right pain to replace when only one side is faulty....).

The AC parts won't be cheap from Nissan - be warned.

I can check the pipe part number if that needs replacing. Hopefully it can be reconnected without drama but make sure o-ring is present and in good condition (better replaced if the correct o-ring available). If the AC system has been open to atmosphere for a period the drier cylinder should be replaced as the desiccant inside will be saturated by now. Get the repairer to deep vacuum the system down for as long as possible - 30 mins minimum, preferably longer - to eliminate as much remaining moisture as possible. The 20 mins the quick-recharge brigade use is not long enough. Even Nissan recommend 25 mins.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, got the £100 pipe (with VAT) connected and so far so good. Cold air again! No idea why / how it had got disconnected but seems to have been fixed so fingers crossed it stays that way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great news! If it misbehaves in the future just post the details and maybe we can reason why.

A question if you don't mind - not connected with the AC subject at all.... but does your '06 Note have the std Nissan factory Bluetooth radio/CD single DIN setup with 'phone connectivity?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good for you that it's somehow working, but if it starts giving problem again, then you got to remove the clutch or change the belt. But, the best option would be to take it to some technician with enough knowledge of air conditioning like amtekair.

Edited by: flash22

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
There have to have might long pipes to reach the UK

·
Registered
9 Posts

All, I'd hate to resurrect this post, but I, too have the same problem. I'm living here in Japan and currently own an 05 Nissan Note. My A/C has stopped working. The light doesn't even come on when I press it. And I can tell the the A/C clutch is not engaging because I do not hear the sound.
Can someone please tell me where this pipe is so that I can investigate it myself. Or better yet, can someone please send me a photo?
I have taken my car at a local shop here and they told me that they could not help me. I would hate to bring this car to a Nissan shop mechanic and pay a ton.
Please help. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts