mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

Looking to buy a Note probably a 2yr old one from main
dealer bit worried though about some of the things that seem to pop up quite regularly
on the forum like the knocking on the chassis and water ingress.

Did these issues get sorted on the later models and is there
anything else I should look for?

Looking at a 1.6 auto

Thanks

FB

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
1.6 auto is a good car, like anything life it depends how its been looked after, it will come with a years warrenty if anything happens anyway, as its a main dealer
only had 1 major thing with mine since new and that was a windscreen leak and it was sorted under warrenty, my first mot is due in a few months and i dont think it will need much if anything touch wood

the tyres that come with the car from new are contis and there very soft and wear quickly, lke any car it has its quirks

what colour you is the car your looking at ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its like a gunmetal grey we are changing from a Nissan Xtrail thats got a knocking from the drivers side that Nissan cant get to the bottom of so didnt want to jump out the frying pan into the fire

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If you can't live with knocking suspension, don't get a note.

Quite a few of us have a knock that we can't find out of warranty, and Nissan seem unable to find inside it.
I've sort of got used to it, although I still half expect something to come loose or beak off.

The other thing to watch is the wheels, you must get new ones under warranty when they start to corrode- don't leave it or you will end up paying to have them re-coated like I have to this week.

However, there are not many torque converter autos about, certainly nowhere near the price of the note.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My wife has a 1.6 auto Tekna with the half leather and lots of other nice touches. Have owned it since Feb 2011 and its a great reliable car. Currently getting about 34 mpg mixed driving and the 1.6 auto is a great combination for this little car (big on the inside). We have four kids aged 9 months, 5 years, 7 years and 9 years and it fits them all in along with boosters and baby seats and buggy for baby.I agree with the comments about the alloys, they are quite fragile and ours are looking a bit tired especially at the front but the brake dust gets on these so at some time in the future will get the front alloys refurbed and will use some EBC brake pads which will throw up much less dust. Its a great car, very reliable and cheap to run, the auto box is a little beauty which is well suited to the engine. Have no plans to change in the future and owned an 07 plate Corsa 5 door 1.4 auto prior to this and the Nissan beats it in every department especially the space inside. Excellent cars would have another in a heartbeat. 10 out of 10.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Check the service history thoroughly, and see if you can contact the previous owners to see if they had any problems with it, and ask why they changed/sold it.

Look under the car, not just the shiny cool bits. Even main dealers are fallible.

I would avoid alloys if possible, but they do look nice when in good condition.(I didn't want alloys, coz they damage too easy).

Have a really good test drive, not just around the block for 5 minutes.

All cars have their little probs, as said before.

Mine is just over 2 years old, and 57,000Km done already, and no knocking or water penetration. Mine is a manual diesel, and going great.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I purchased a 1.5 diesel N-TEC, I tried the 1.6 petrol first, then the 1.5 diesel and found the 1.5 had a lot more pull, as long as you are in the power band for the turbo. As with the N-TEC, I find I use the cruise control alot and the sat-nav's OK, but on the next service I think the sat-nav requies an up grade, which will cost about £125.00 (robbing gits). I've not had the dreadded front end knock yet, but front screen condensation. Also fuel economy, I average about 59 mpg around town and about 64/65 on a run. I'm not a boy racer, but who is with a Note? One thingnegative is the cost of main dealer servicing, not cheap!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
if you have the Nissan Connect then you can get the 2011/12 SD card to 'upgrade' it for c.£35-40 on eBay.
Just make sure it's for the Micra/Juke/Connect.

Why 2011/2012? Becuase there are always people upgrading at full dealer prices and the dealers often 'shift' the old cards this way! You ban have at least three 'upgrades' for the price of one from a mian stealer.

Current listings on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=nissan+connect+sd&_sacat=0&_odkw=nissan+note+connect+sd&_osacat=0&_from=R40

·
Registered
3 Posts
I chose a Note auto Acenta as opposed to the N-tec / Tekna as I didn't want the tinted rear windows.

I find the footwell section of the heater could be better and the windows have misted up recently, but with all the wet weather that's understandable. It soon clears with use of the demister / aircon'.

Updates for the satnav are not really necessary as roads don't change that often. I have a TomTom that's a few years old and I get by with the old maps.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi BJUK,
Before I had the Note I used a Tomtom, when I first got it, it had UK & europe. When the time came to upgrade the Tomtom I thought that I would not bother this time. The next time the upgrade was due, Tomtom wanted me to pay for the year I had missed and for the latest upgrade!

So I went for the UK only upgrade. It would have been cheaper to buy a new Tomtom.

But I do agree with you that roads don't change alot.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The update is useful though for the fixed speed camera positions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I turned off the speed camera warnings.
Got fed up with the numerous false ones and the real ones bleeping every five minutes.

I don't know if it's still the way but you could get free updates of the interweb instead of from TomTom.

As I don't generally speed I don't find a use for the warnings, and not only that,most cameras are visible well beforehand.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Must admit I haven't had a single false warning so far.
They seem to have a cunning way of hiding them (although pained bright yellow) behind street signs and it's very useful for the little 'Truvelo' head-on ones which can be difficult to spot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 3 year old 1.6 auto Acenta in a metallic champagne colour.

I bought it in April 2012 and have not had any suspension knocking noises or leaks.

At 18,000 miles, I replaced the original Continental Eco tyres with the same again - £68 each fitted.

It has so far been very reliable, I get about 38mpg and the engine has plenty of oomph for me.

I like the steering wheel controls, stereo sounds nice, bluetooth is great. Altogether a quiet, roomy comfortable car.

No car is perfect though and as we all know forums will always have posts about things that go wrong for people but there must be thousands of posts that are never made for cars that don't have problems - if that makes sense ?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Zundapp said:
No car is perfect though and as we all know forums will always have posts about things that go wrong for people but there must be thousands of posts that are never made for cars that don't have problems - if that makes sense ?
It makes perfect sense (at least to me).

Waaaay back I used to work for Akai and we had around ten 4000DS reel-to-reel tape recorders (remember them?) returned for repair every week.

I mentioned this 'unreliability' to the Service Manager and he said "Ah, Nigel, but you never hear from the 100,000 customers without a problem do you?" Point taken and young lad chastened.

Edited by: Nigel B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts