Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
just joined forum,after some help as to "is it wise to spend my hard earned on getting a nissan note" please give me your honest feedback! also would you recommend going for the 1.6 petrol rather than the 1.4 ( the 1.6 being my preference)

Thanks in advance Spartacus1961

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the 1.6 has the extra when you need it if your even thinking about motorway use go for the 1.6 or the diesel
you will get bias opinions on here tbh but you can buy worse cars for the money, like any car it has its quirks and problems but what cars dont

if your looking at a used one there are plenty about, so if you dont like something walk away find another

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have had two 1.6s both auto and very acceptable regarding power in these congested days. For motorway use they are fine and in my opinion are a very underrated car. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
(I have spent half of my working life in the motor trade) There is a little bit of body roll because they are tall(ish) but in sensible driving is not noticeable.<O:p></O:p>
The odd (?)size wheels make tyre choice difficult as there are few makes available. The front pads and discs look like they won't last long which is unusual for a vehicle of this nominal size and weight. I would have liked to have seen disc brakes on the rear but the drum version albeit dated work fine.
The interior could be said to be narrow in comparison to a similar sized Jazz etc but exceptional general room in the back. <O:p></O:p>

The spec on our new N-Tec+ is pretty good and with some nice touches. We bought another one simply because there is nothing better in our budget in my opinion.

Edited by: JimR

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have a 1.6 auto, bought it because the choice of small conventional autos is so limited: Yaris, teeny tiny Vauxhall or a note. Needed enough room in the back to take a couple of mountain bikes (can drop the front wheels out) so the note was the winner.

Drives well, fairly economical: getting around 35-36 mpg (around 10 more than the RAV4 auto!) Not a bad looking car, like the fact that the back door is full size, not Tee shaped, and much prefer the slab sided look to the Noddy's car look with small cabin and bulbous wings that seems to be in vogue.

Definitely not a fan of the electricery: have turned off the irritating auto lights but sticking with the auto wipers, just swear at them a lot when they flail around in mist and refuse to wipe when I cant see a thing: but I reckon they do work properly 90% of the time.

Needs the aircon to demist the windows in any rain too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 1.4 acenta and the engine is good and plenty for day to day use butgets a bit laboured if fully laden.This isnt a problem as, like most people, the carhas usually got justme in it or a couple of passengers 99% of the time.
Think about how often you woudl use it fully laden as you will get better economy from the 1.4. Mines had to have a new o2 sensor and the steering is knocking at the moment but will get sorted under warranty. I've had 4 Nissans aand all proved to be reliable. I got this Note after having a skoda which needed constant maintenance and eventually the engine conked out.After that i'm sticking with Nissans and i would recommend the Note (although not quite as solid as a Skoda) because they are much more reliable.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Don't you fancy the diesel then? It's quick enough for town, very strong on the motorway and the mpg is pretty good too. Ok it's no fireball but there's enough torque to make overtaking a breeze, and you shouldn't really be worried about that extra 5mph top speed the 1.6 has over it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You haven't said what you want it for, but modern diesels of any make are best avoided unless you have a high mileage requirement including motorway travel, and are intending to change it as it runs out of warranty.
For pottering around town and short commuting trips the economics, extra servicing and burdensome emission control systems don't make sense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone,
just to say thank you all for responses so far. The reason I am thinking of a 1.6 is that my current car is a 1.6 vauxhall astra and I am use to that size engine/power, the mileage and length of my usual journeys mean that a diesel version would not be the best choice for all the known relevant reasons. I have just booked a test drive for 17/5/12 at my local dealers and as Arnie would say "I'll be back" to give my thoughts after that.

in the mean time thanks again,and any more advice would be gratefully received

Spartacus1961

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
mnl said:
Drives well, fairly economical: getting around 35-36 mpg
I lied.

The woefully inaccurate dashboard meter says average 36.7

Metered comsumption, correcting for Nissan miles ( 1NM = 0.95 British standard miles) is only 31.5mpg.

Would pick up a lot if I could get the speed over 40 and use the transmission lock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts