Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Best "look away now", Midas!

This weekend I got 70.2mpg on a 240 mile round trip down the M74 to England and back, aiming - as ever - to be as frugal as possible. The return trip saw me bringing back ~130kg of books. I stuck to 60-65mph, had empty roads, and a featherlight foot.

But it got me thinking that maybe BP's Ultimate diesel is a few % better than Sainsbury's "Basics" diesel.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I always get better MPG with shell, I also find 200Ml of 2 stroke oil per full tank fullmakes the engine run smoother, I've reported this in another forum and had a few replies back also reporting this. You don't need good stuff just the cheapie one from Lidls. It helps lubricate the pump.73.5 MPG just round the corner
. Stick your electric cars where the sun don't shine

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
silverhairs said:
I always get better MPG with shell, I also find 200Ml of 2 stroke oil per full tank fullmakes the engine run smoother, I've reported this in another forum and had a few replies back also reporting this. You don't need good stuff just the cheapie one from Lidls. It helps lubricate the pump.73.5 MPG just round the corner
. Stick your electric cars where the sun don't shine
the way electricity is pricing itself, it won't be long before it's not economical to charge your LEAF up.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Due to me having a new hip, we had to go down to the daughters for a long weekend. The wife drove, normally she uses the car to go shopping, I do the long drives. I did not say a word until we got to about 60 mph and she was still in 4th gear, being a diesel the engine's not revving it's balls off so she was happy to keep it in 4th. After that I just kept an eye on the gear situation. She said "Well I only drive to the shops and back, This is the first long run I've done, with a diesel engine car". I wonder when going to the shops, she ever gets out of 2nd gear?

·
Registered
38 Posts
^ Is she parhaps thinking she might accidently go into reverse when changing down from 5th? (I believe my wife thinks this will automatically happen!)

Andy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not long back a neighbours elderly mum was conducting a manoeuvre in her Nissan Micra in the street where I live, it was nuts as she was conducting a three point turn but sounded like she was just about to do a ram raid and drive the car through a shop window. The engine was doing minimum 4000 rpm but travelling at a snails pace.
At the time my lads were in the street aged 9 and 7 and were asking me what was the lady doing in her car.
I felt the pain for the Micra lol. "One careful lady owner"
will be the advert when the car is up for sale!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2010 Note 1.4 N-tec petrol. Only got 38mpg on motorway, going 60-65mph did not go over 3000rpm. Only getting 33mpg on work commute!!!! I drive carefully do not rev engine high or accelerate hard, change gear below 2000rpm.

With my 2005 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol I got 45-50mpg on motorway and 37-42mpg on work commute.

Can't believe I got a smaller, lighter car with a smaller engine with less power and yet it gets far worse mpg!

Other than mpg it's a very nice car.

Edited by: pjnoake

·
Registered
95 Posts
pjnoake, in our 2007 1.4 SE I get close to 50 MPG reported by the trip computer when I drive like you've described, but only after we changed both of the lambda sensors.

Before we changed the lambda sensors we had 30-something MPG, and the engine management warning light on. When the engine management codes were read they were indicating PO171 (too lean) and PO172 (too rich).

There'll be a bunch of other reasons for lousy fuel consumption too - there's an interesting wheel alignment thread running on the forum at the moment..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just did Munich-Watford return (2400km mainly motorway 65-70mph) and got a 52MPG, with 4 people and a hell of a Tesco's shop before returning, this is of course the DIG-S that should do 3.8-4.3litres/100km but I guess unless I'm on my own, on the flat, driving like my grandma it'll be hard to achieve...
The funny thing is the dynamic measurement does hover between 3.8 to 4.7 most of the time but the long term average does not like to drop below 5.2 litres/100km.

Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed that on our 2004 Almera, sat nav shows 70mph and speedo 65 ...at least its on the low side and not speeding

·
Registered
360 Posts
There appears to be a manufacturing conspiracy for the car's speedo to read faster than actual = a built in safety margin perhaps ?

Wonder if the up-market and super cars are the same?

Michael

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
When out on a run, and set the cruise control for 60 MPH I'm really doing 58 MPH, same for 30, 40 and 50. So I set it the extra 2 MPH eg, 32, 42, 52, 62 and 72. The speedo's do run slow
Yesterday had to go from Grimsby to Nottingham, (just me and the Mrs) to pick some gear up,I thought I'd do a Mobile economy run (that takes you back). Before I started I filled the tank up to the neck. (with Tesco's diesel cause we had 18p per Ltr off coupon) It was a 205 mile round trip. today filled it again to the neck, 2.80 gallons, (12.74 Ltrs)that made a grand total of
73.21 MPG. The best I've done so far
. Don't trust the computer read out

2011 1.5tdi, 25425 miles on the clock I wonder if Midasi1 still reads this topic?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I still do my diesel in MPG, as I'm the old set who still think of £ - s - p.(Not into ltrs per Km).When you think about it, a daily paper is 55p, that's over 10 bob. 10 bob for a few sheets of paper, filled with 60% adverts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have an 61 plate 1.6petrol ntec auto. Getting about 35mpg (heavy right foot)previous note 1.4petrol se manual had 07 reg had 38.7mpg for most of the 5 years I drove it!well pleased with both

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm happy with my diesel, specially now the price is dropping. Little run out on Sunday, some of it along the M1 J28 - 31 which is still a 50 limit, rest round South Yorks/North Lincs. While the speedo and mileage displays aren't spot on Fuelly seems to agree with the figures as near as dammit

·
Registered
257 Posts
2015 1.2 DIG-S. We saw about 56 mpg the other weekend while we were away, very happy.

Went to mother in laws Monday, 80 mile round trip, 63.5 mpg, not racing but keeping up with traffic.

Very happy with that, better than the diesel C-Max ever was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently drove from the midlands to norfolk in my 2011 1.5 DCI.

the outbound trip showed on the carputer as:

187.2 miles
avg speed 46mph (a more realistic speed would be 50-60mph on single carriage roads)
80.5 mpg

this was on 1/2 tank of shell fuel and a car full of camping kit + me and the mrs.

pretty good going for what was about £20 fuel.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts