Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Indeed - I believe the "unofficial" official calibration (if you get my drift) to be 8% more than the true figure. But surely somebody can design a system where the speedo reads over (for understandable reasons in this day and age) but the odometer records accurately the mileage covered!

Our 1.5dci Note (2011 Visia) has now covered an indicated 20,603 miles at a brim to brim (always fill up to the neck!) average of 67.1MPG. After adjusting for odometer inaccuracy (approx. 5.5% on our car) this gives an actual fuel economy of 63.4MPG...most impressive!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
You can reset the mpg meter yourself...just select the mpg reading with the left stalk, then hold it in for a few seconds until it reads __ __ __ job done!

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
My MPG depends which boots I'm wearing. But generally get 55 - 60mpg, and more if I wear slippers.

The wife achieves better results, as she drives that bit slower than me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MPG & tyre wear (in another tread) is almost impossible to compare, there are too many variablesfrom driver to driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think my computer must be in error. I have always had automatics (but never one with a mpg computer) and over the past 200 miles of urban driving (no motorways) the reading is 41.2 mpg for a 1.6 Note Auto. I drive in my normal style, keep up with traffic but never rush. At times the reading goes up to 45mpg. Surely a faulty computer?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Not at all.

I routinely get readings of 41MPG on my Note out of traffic in urban areas. Overall I guess I'm in the 'mid 30's.

If I get a clear run and avoid red lights theMPG 'trip' can easily read over 50MPG for a brief period. Remember it's just a 'snapshot' at the start of a journey and 'averages out' over the whole trip.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi. My 2009 1.6 auto Tekna regularly shows 45 mpg and that is at 70 mph. My 06 1.6 auto SVE was worse at the same speeds in the same roads, returning only 39 mpg. I believe the engine management system was changed in the 09 models to favour economy over performance. My 06 SVE certainly felt faster and I'm definitely getting more miles per gallon now. Good job with the price of petrol!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find that I get better mpg using the speed limiter rather than the cruise control, anybody know why that is? this is on motorway driving as I never use the cruise in town.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I've got a 1.5 diesel N-Tec, and had it just over a year (11 plate). I don't go by the read out. Fill your tank up, I fill mine right to the top, so you can see the fuel in the neck.
Record the miles you have on the readout, (write it down).

The next time you fill up, fill it up again to about the same spot, ask for the recept, that will tell you how many Litres you have put in.

When you get home, using a calculator divide the litres purchasedby 4.546 that will give you the gallons used. (40 Lts =8.79 Galls)

Now take away your original miles from the last miles (12932 - 12412= 520 miles). Now divide the 520 by the gallons used.

520 miles divided by 8.79 galls = 59.15 MPG

Around town I average 59MPG and on a run I have had 65MPG. But it depends on how heavy your right foot is?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I forgot to mention, I find Shell diesel gives beter MPG, and befor you ask, I don't work for Shell

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
silverhairs said:
I forgot to mention, I find Shell diesel gives better MPG, and before you ask, I don't work for Shell

Precisely SilverH. The right foot is the best economy method.

My missus tends to leave quite a bit of heavy stuff(Job related), in the boot, and she wonders why she uses more fuel than me. "Empty the bl**dy boot out", I say.

She gives me that vague look, as I explain it takes more power to pull a load, and I politely explain the act of pushing or pulling an empty or full wheelbarrow, The penny dropped eventually.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With only 14,000 miles in three and a half years I don't think my Note (1.4 Acenta)had had it's lungs properly exercised. I've only had it six weeks but noticed avg MPG getting steadily better. A good 200+ mile run the other day saw it up to 50.5 mpg - and that included spells at 80mph.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting Silverhairs. I had to take a taxi the other night (fell asleep on train out of Paddington and woke up 50 miles beyond boarding station with no return train until following morning!!) and my driver said exactly the same.
He reckoned Sainsbury's was next best, then BP.

He should know, his four year old Touran had 250,000+ miles on the clock!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi I have a 1.5 diesel had it for 2 weeks,i'm doing about 10 miles a day at moment for work and mpg is showing 61.4 MPG.This is from Aston to Dinnington so its pretty open roads and dual carraigeway,but I must say I'm more than happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
STEVIEB59 said:
Hi I have a 1.5 diesel had it for 2 weeks,i'm doing about 10 miles a day at moment for work and mpg is showing 61.4 MPG.This is from Aston to Dinnington so its pretty open roads and dual carraigeway,but I must say I'm more than happy with it.

Don't confine your Note to short runs, as that can stuff up the DPF(if you have one fitted). You need to give the diesel a good run, to get it up to temperature and burn off the particles in the Dust Particle Filter in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Or Diesel Particulate Filter to be pedantic.
If you don't give it a decent 'burn' regularly (30 mins. at engine 'normal' temperature) the b***** things clog up and bring up the engine management light at best.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I have posted in another forum that I also add some 2 stroke oil (mineral) to my diesel. I add about 200ml per tank full. As they have taken out the sulphur from the fuel, to help clean it up, they have also removed the lubricant that used to lubricate the pump. With the 2T it helps to lubricate the pump. It runs smoother, more responsive and better MPG,there will be people out there who will poo poo this, but it works for me and all my friends who run diesels.
You only want to buy the cheapest 2T, I buy mine from Aldi or Lydl. Don't go to Halfords, they charge the earth and it don't work out very cheap. But I do like Shell diesel, car runs a treat.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts