Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya people. I've just bought a 59 reg nissan note 1.5 diesel(facelifted) and wanted to know if anyone else is having any such issues as mine.

Just filed up the tank yesterday (for the 1st time)and after driving it for about 30 local miles around london today its showing me that imgetting 38mpg on averageand thats making me feel worried

My main reason for buying this car was its great fuel economy (63 mpg combined as advertised)and i think im getting almost half of that

does anyone else have such problem??

any response would be great

James

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site!

We're only new but hopefully will attract some new owners soon. For the moment the Honest John website is collecting real world MPG figures and those for the Note are as follows:

<table width="100%" ="TableList" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb119, 119, 119; border-right-color: rgb119, 119, 119; border-bottom-color: rgb119, 119, 119; border-left-color: rgb119, 119, 119; margin-bottom: 10px; "><t><tr ="TableList"><th style=": rgb204, 204, 221; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap; line-height: 21px; width: 250px; ">Engine</th><th align="center" style=": rgb204, 204, 221; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap; line-height: 21px; ">Official Combined</th><th align="center" style=": rgb204, 204, 221; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap; line-height: 21px; ">Real Average</th><th align="center" style=": rgb204, 204, 221; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap; line-height: 21px; ">Real Range</th></tr><tr ="rc1"><td style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">1.4</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">44.8""“47.9 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">44.2 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">39.5""“50.1 mpg</td></tr><tr ="rc2"><td style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">1.5 dCi</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">55.4""“67.3 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">56.6 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">54.8""“58.6 mpg</td></tr><tr ="rc1"><td style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">1.6</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">42.8 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">44.9 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb252, 252, 252; ">41.5""“47.7 mpg</td></tr><tr ="rc2"><td style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">1.6 Automatic</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">41.5 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">37.3 mpg</td><td align="center" style="line-height: 17px; : rgb237, 237, 237; ">31.5""“40.5 mpg</td></tr></t></table>

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi

just bought the car 2 days ago. its got 28500 miles on it with full service history from nissan.

been to 5 different nissan dealers in london today, most of them refuse to accept that there might be a problem with the car, saying that cars need time to get out of choke mode etc etc.... but ive been driving for the past 15 years and none of my previous cars were this much out from the official mpg provided.

After going the nissan in penge, who were really really helpful, they suggested i should check my air filter and maybe i should also try putting the diesel cleaner in the tank as well......, as sometimes the tanks gets rubbish in it.

however tried that and gthe mpg on car display shows a sigh of improvement. now from 38 its gone up to 44mp.

but im still curious, aas i expect more mpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi James - I've had a new Tekna 1.5 diesel for a week, and have been driving around Newcastle but so far have been returning 53mpg. That's only going by the combimeter display, so I wouldn't claim its absolute accuracy, but going by the fuel gauge I'd guess that it was pretty close.

·
Registered
109 Posts
no real use to you as mine is a petrol auto 1.6 tekna

i am getting about 32mpg running around town and to work and back,

a couple of mptorway trips with the last full tank of fuel and i am bang on the 38mpg as shown in the table above from Dan,

was hoping i might get the 41mpg combined but it had peaked at 44mpg and has slowly leveled out to 38.4 and is now going up and down a few points depending on the driving conditions

i am more than happy with this from an auto, my old 1.8 laguna manual only gave me 27.9 average

even after a motorway run it soon came back down to 28mpg and it took over £75 to fill the tank from empty compared to the Note that is a £55 maximum from light on to up the neck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a Note S 1.4 petrol manual, 56 reg., and it does about 44mpg round town and country lanes, but it did a little over 50 on a 200mi trip with about 100mi motorway, 40mi in 30 & 40 limits and the rest 60 roads.

Perhaps we could build a register of members' models with the foibles of both cars and members, and features that members like and dislike. That kind of feedback is valuable to makers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1.6 auto (petrol). Did a stretch of 250 miles on A roads + motorway. extremely careful to keep the speed down to maximise consumption. Readout showed 50.0 mpg for last two thirds of the journey. Thought I'd done well, but on filling the tank and calculating actual miles against fuel used, I found I'd only managed 44mpg.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Greetings, j1wpr, from North Wales. I wonder if anyone knows what accuracy the makers claim for the instruments, such as the mpg calculator? As another example, my speedo. seems to read 10% high according to a roadside speed display in Llandudno. When the speedo. read about 42 the display showed "38 Thankyou"- isn't that nice of it. Mind you, I've upset a couple of 30 limit displays when the speedo. showed 30, but I don't think those are as accurate.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi James,I also have a 59 1.5 and I'm getting 70mpg. I must point out that going to work I only do a max of 60mph. I have had the car for 3 months and most of the time it gives me 70mpg. I use the comp and also work it out when filling the tank. Using the cruise control does use an extra 3mpg for me. I do around 50 miles a day, so are having a very good run at 60mph.

Regards
Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I live outside the UK, so we don't count in mpg here, but i also realized that the computer says my car "drinks" way more than i expect. (i drive a 1,4) So next time i took it to Nissan, i asked the service guy, and he said that in early times the consumtpion is a lot higher, but later it gets better. Thing is, the board computer is counting average consumption, from the last time it was reset. That's why you get worse data even later. Computer reset may help, there's a way to reset it at home but safest is to ask your nissan partner for it.
Hope i could help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got an 07 Note diesel.
What you need to remember to get accurate figures is to reset the MPG display by pressing and holding the stalk until it goes to ----.

Then you should get more reliable MPG figures from then on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all your posts guys. my 59reg 1.5 diesal, actually gives me 45mpg on average. thats the real figure as i compare it to how many miles i have driven it to how many litres of diesal was put in.

as mentioned in my earlier post, i mostly just drive around in london, and london traffic is always heavy so loads of stoping and slowing moving then stopping then moving, so i guess thats the best i will be getting out of it

thanks agaion for all your posts, at least goes to show im not alone around here.

james

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned an 11 plate Note 1.5 diesel visia for the past eight months. Based on brim to brim averages and odometer readings the car has managed 67.6 mpg over nearly 9000 miles, which is absolutely fantastic!

However when comparing mileages with a portable GPS unit, the car's odometer reads approximately 6% high...so the true mpg figure that it is achieving is about 64 mpg.

Has anyone else out there attempted to test odometer accuracy? If so what did you find? The speedo obviously over reads by about the same amount but, with its effect on insurance premiums, resale values, service intervals etc. I'm a bit surprised that the mileometer seems to be so inaccurate!

Any thoughts folks?

·
Registered
181 Posts
2 journeys I've done often over the years seem longer since I bought my Note. One that was 101mi is now "106mi" and another that was 186mi is now "197mi", so I reckon the odometer is reading 5-6% high. (Or perhaps they've stretched the roads. I'm sure the speed of light has increased for old people, which is why time passes more quickly for us.)The speedo. definitely reads high (see my earlier post), but that's not a bad thing with all these speed cameras about.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
On the subject of mpg, I had a frantic run from west London to Fareham and back yesterday on the M3 at 90mph most of the time (all the cops were having their xmas party I think) and got a registered 61.7 mpg. At one point the meter was reading 99.3 (!!!) so I'm not going to give it much credence from now on.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't think Nissan will admit to errors Frank...but people on other Note forums seem to agree on about a 10-15% error. I would say that's about right. Anyway, Nissan aren't the worst offenders by a long way...my mate has a 59 plate VW Golf Tdi, and he just goes by the range meter. I have been with him a couple of times when he's filled up, and the further he drives, the more range is indicated! it starts around 400 miles and will gain anything up to another 100 over the next day or two. Now THAT'S what I call an instrument error!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Perhaps he has a fuel making plant in the back. I had a Morris Minor that did that. IT seemed to fill up as we drove the first 10 miles, then came down with a bump.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts