Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had all 4 tires slashed (dick)
Wil 4 wheels froma ford fiasta fit. The note is 165/65 the Ford 175/65. If the wheels won't fit n will the tires on ,my wheels. Thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The wheels wont fit, the Ford is 108mm pcd, Nissan are 100mm, and the Ford centre bore is too small.
The tyres should go on though, but if they are not a reccomended fittment (have a look at the sticker in the driver's door frame) your insurer might get all upitty if you have an accident.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I've had all 4 tires slashed (dick)
Wil 4 wheels froma ford fiasta fit. The note is 165/65 the Ford 175/65. If the wheels won't fit n will the tires on ,my wheels. Thanks
Sorry, the wheels won’t fit. The centre hubs are the wrong size.

I’m not sure if the tyres will fit as they are wider. You would however have to declared them as a modification, to your insurance company. 175/65 is not an approved size by Nissan so your insurance company might get “upset” in the event of a claim.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry to hear that some scumbag slashed your car tyres.
If i were in that situation i would get a mate to give me a lift, with my wheels, to the nearest part worn tyre place and get some cheap replacement tyres until i could afford to buy brand new ones.

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
95 Posts
Had an ex gf do that to me few yrs ago ( fairplay really as wed been having a ménage à trois with another lady) and i ermmm decided to go off with her, yes yes before the morality experts start commenting , s**t happens, , more embarrassing was driving my xantia through to the town to the local garage and batting away the questions from them about how it happened lol...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry to hear that some scumbag slashed your car tyres.
If i were in that situation i would get a mate to give me a lift, with my wheels, to the nearest part worn tyre place and get some cheap replacement tyres until i could afford to buy brand new ones.
I would never buy part worn tyres, you have no idea what has happened to the car they came off. Most will be off write offs and they could have suffered unseen damage during any incident. The law says that part worn tyres should be inspected and stamped "part worn" on the side walls. They should only be sold if they are free from damage. Very few sellers comply with the law.

Some part worns will be so old they offer virtually no grip and are likely to suffer structural failure.

It costs the same to fit, balance and new valve a part worn as a new tyre but with a part worn you have to do this far more frequently. A part worn with 3mm of treat only has 1.4mm usable, a new tyre with 7mm tread has 5.4mm usable, almost 4 times the life. You would soon be out of pocket.

165 65 16 tyres can be had for just over £40 fully fitted so why waste your time and money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmmm, i tend to disagree a little,.a lot of the part worn tyres I believe come from Germany where as I understand it , its not legal to repair or plug a tyre (im happy to be corrected if that's wrong) whereas here we are happy to have our tyres repaired and put back on our cars and as tyres are all DOT stamped ie yr of manufacture there shouldn't be an issue.

Rogue retailers well of course there are those, they are called Nissan main dealers;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just had a quick look on E-Bay for part worn tyres in 205 55 16 size (same as my car) and the first hit was £19.99 a tyre + P & P at £10.99 with 4mm remaining but no mention of the make. Assuming the P & P would be the same for 4 that would be £90.95 on my doorstep. I would then have to pay for fitting, valve and balance + disposal of the old tyres, looking on-line that is about £15 a corner all in. So on the car they would be £140.95.

If I went to Kwik Fit (there are cheaper places) I could get 4 brand new budget tyres fitted for £206 all in, no more to pay, no hassle.

The part worns have 2.4mm of usable tread. The new tyres will have about 5.4 mm of usable tread, that more than double the amount.

So if I got 20,000 miles out of a set of new tyres for £206 I would only get about 9,000 miles out of the partworns. That would be 1 pence a mile for the new tyres or 1.6 pence a mile for the part worns.

Its a false economy and potentially unsafe if you buy faulty tyres.

Suppose everyone has to make their own decision but why pay more and increase your risk.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not disputing your Maths using the numbers you have provided, but you can take the old tyres to the local recycling place usually for free

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm not disputing your Maths using the numbers you have provided, but you can take the old tyres to the local recycling place usually for free
Not ours, £5 a tyre. When I cleared the shed out last year the 2 tyres I kept years ago since they still had 3mm bit me in the arse. Never again.

Its why you see so many tyres on grass verges.

Plus I have just checked on the interweb and F1 Autocentres do 4 205 55 16 for £186 80 all in, thats £20 less than KwikFit. Makes the part worns look even more expensive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As you say not yours.. , Id have been so tempted to say, sod your £20, there going back in the shed..:)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would never buy part worn tyres, you have no idea what has happened to the car they came off. Most will be off write offs and they could have suffered unseen damage during any incident. The law says that part worn tyres should be inspected and stamped "part worn" on the side walls. They should only be sold if they are free from damage. Very few sellers comply with the law.

Some part worns will be so old they offer virtually no grip and are likely to suffer structural failure.

I have to disagree with that statement i'm afraid.
Most of the part worn tyres in the uk come from germany where the law there says the minimum tread depth is 6mm, i used to fit tyres for a living both new and part worn ones, and as far as i know the only thing that has changed is the tyre having to be stamped as part worn on the sidewall.
I have used them in the past, and would use them again. The last set i had put on a car lasted for 15,000 miles so they ended up owing me nothing, and they passed through the mot.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Most of the part worn tyres in the uk come from germany where the law there says the minimum tread depth is 6mm,
Are you saying that in Germany a tyre is scrapped when it gets to 6mm. They only have 7mm approx. when new.

If that were true they would be buying new rear tyres for powerful Mercs and BMW's every 1000 miles.

Stop Press. Just checked on a several websites and the minimum tread depth in Germany is 1.6mm, just like it is here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I lived and worked in Germany for 11yrs and another memory springs to mind , that if the car has been in an accident, the insurance companies insist that all tyres are replaced as a matter of safety again happy to be corrected if that's incorrect

·
Registered
95 Posts

I have to disagree with that statement i'm afraid.
Most of the part worn tyres in the uk come from germany where the law there says the minimum tread depth is 6mm, i used to fit tyres for a living both new and part worn ones, and as far as i know the only thing that has changed is the tyre having to be stamped as part worn on the sidewall.
I have used them in the past, and would use them again. The last set i had put on a car lasted for 15,000 miles so they ended up owing me nothing, and they passed through the mot.
There is also the scenario where you know your only keeping the car for a short amount of time say 1yr, so the financial argument for a part worn , then makes a lot more sense IMO

·
Registered
244 Posts
You are all welcome to your own opinion of course but my view is never to buy used tyres even if its only for a short period.

Suppose you save that £40 buying used tyres, big deal. Over a year and 10,000 miles you will spend probably £1500 on fuel and some will insist that they only use top grade fuel at substantially more a litre, round here its about 8p, up to 16 p if you want E5. That "higher quality fuel" will cost an extra £75 a year and you will definitely see no benefit.

We all have different views but safety should be paramount. And it not just your own, innocent people get involved in others accidents and the penalties can get very severe if you are found guilty.

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
I have never fitted.or even bought used tyres. Nowt to do with cost, just the fact that I know that they are new, and that they have never been repaired or bodged. Even my trailer gets new quality tyres.

I put my families life before cost, and other road users.

If you want to take any kind of risk, your choice. But don't come bleating to me, when your wrapped around a tree, or partly through a wall. And for god's sake you don't kill anyone on your way.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Personally i have never had any issues with part worn tyres. Last set i had ( both fronts,three years ago ) were Dunlop with 4mm of tread on them, lasted ages.
I would use them again, as long as the tread depth was at least 4mm, without hesitation, i also fitted hundreds of pairs when i was a tyre fitter.
Each to their own though.
The german law must have changed, i was talking around twenty years ago lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If i had a car and one or more tyres got damaged with a simple puncture, i couldn't justify replacing the tyre on safety grounds, nor from a green planet thing to do, and so many people trust the repair firm to do a good job from a safety point of view, of course there are people who will just say pop a new tyre on, its safer, but not knowing the history of a tyre whether it be on a 2nd hand car/caravan/bike, none, or should i rephrase that VERY few people will immediately replace them for new . ,

Each to there own ofcourse but given the original posters Q and how it was phrased and not knowing how long he/she intends to keep the car, sometimes finances rule the decision people can take

Have a nice evening all .

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Safety is a concern with tyres, brakes etc, BUT how many members have trusted, or would trust, the gunk in a spray can to get you home after getting a puncture ?
Not me, which is why i always buy a spare wheel for any car i own.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts