4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, took delivery of a new Nissan Note 1.5dCi Manual on
Friday, I believe it is the E12 model.

Have driven it around quite a bit over the weekend and
noticed a weird quirk that I wondered if anyone else has experience of as well
in the diesel?

In a nutshell, under certain conditions, the car speeds up
as if it is driving itself without my intervention.

Generally in the short time I have had it, I have noticed it
most whilst decelerating and changing down the gears, either coming to an
intersection to stop or to turn left around the corner for example.

If I am changing down from say 3<sup>rd</sup> to 2<sup>nd</sup>
to go around the corner to the left, as I let out the clutch and before I have
really started to apply some gas to the peddle I can feel it speed up and accelerate
through the corner which can be quite disconcerting.

When coming up to the traffic lights and I am braking,
before I engage the clutch, I can feel it run away from under me and I am
forced to brake much harder and engage the clutch to stop it speeding up.

It does not happen all the time but it happens more than
enough to be noticeable and it does not always feel safe.

I'vesearched the forum butcouldn'tfind anything that
matches my experience.

I did find another posting on another site which describes
the same experience: http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/cars/nissan/note/qanda/3/

See below:
<i style="line-height: 1.4;">
[/i]
<i style="line-height: 1.4;">Sian H, Cardiff / Nissan
Note 2010 - My Nissan Note dci 1.5 can drive itself. What could the problem be?
It`s been looked at by Nissan under warranty and they said it was the timing
belt so they changed it, but it`s still happening. When approaching a junction
and slowing down the car accelerates forwards and I have to almost emergency
brake to avoid collision with cars in front. I can drive up hill and over bumps
in third gear without touching a pedal. I've had the car less than two months,
used from Evans Halshaw who are useless. Can anyone please suggest what`s
causing this?[/i]

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know what might be going
on?
Next step is to call the place from where I obtained it, but
it would be good if I have a little further information to back up my claim/explanation
when I speak with them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated JAmron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mdvineng,

I checked and triple checked the cruise control as it was one of my first thoughts as well, I read thru the manual - it is definitely cancelled.

Any other suggestions?

BR

Amron

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
could be the engine isn't hot enough and it's trying to keep the CAT happy or it's in the middle of trying to regen the DPF, which puts more fuel into the engine and as it's a diesel this will make it run faster (diesel speed is controlled by fueling as opposed to a petrol which is controlled by throttling the air flow)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mdvineng,

Really appreciate the responses :)

I will log when it happens to see if there is a correlation with it happening when it's within first 15 min of driving of the day or if it is also happening after say a motorway trip when it should be well and truly warmed up by then.

Let's say that it is because the car is not warmed upproperly, would I be right in still saying that it shouldn't be speeding up (ever) unless that input comes from myself? Anything else is just unsafe?

Any other thoughts? Anyone else have same/similar issue?

BR

Amron

Edited by: amron

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I wonder if this is the famous 'throttle blip' which is programmed to happen when you change down.

I suppose if you catch it 'wrong' you will get the extra revs and therefore speed until the engine is warm.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had it occasionally on mine (2010 model)...nearly always ona lefthand corner near home...seems to be when I've tried to take it in too high a gear & the engine seems to say "if you're not going to change down then I'll increase revs so we don't stall"

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
tbh not your problem take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it out, the e12's have known electrical problems
make sure the dealers have the car from a cold start

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Thinking about this, it could be the drive by wire giving you problems. (But I'm not an expert on electrics).You've only had it a couple of weeks. Your first port of call is the dealer who sold you the car it's still under warranty

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello,
I have noticed something similar in my E11 1.5dci note. Maybe your problem is something else totally, but I thought I would post anyway.

I have found that if the revs of the engine drop too low (to 800rpm say) the car seems to try and stop itself stalling by increasing the revs, or stopping them dropping any lower. So if you are in 2nd and going very slowly, and the revs are low the car will try and keep the revs up to stop a stall. You have to depress the clutch earlier to avoid this, or change to a lower gear.

I've never really noticed this in any car I have had before (all petrols) but it has happened a few times since I got my diesel note.

Edited by: jimnote

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
If you are in second gear, and your revs drop too 800 RPM, your in the wrong gear, and your not doing your engine any good, your labouring ittoo much and putting a lot of strain on the mechanical parts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Many years ago petrol injection engines used to do this as the 'idle air control valve' would work electronically to stop the engine stalling by increasing the revs.
Can't comment otherwise as I'm driving a 1.2 DIG-S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I have been driving it now for nearly a week and the issue is much less than on the first weekend.The common thread from the comments is that the car is trying to stop itself from stalling, I am tending to lean towards this as well.

I've only ever had petrol before, first diesel and not experienced anything like this in all my years driving.

Spoken with the dealership and I am taking it in on the weekend for them to have a quick look over for me.

Thanks everyone for your replies, great to know so much support here :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
What you are describing is not a fault and is the difference between driving a Diesel engined car and a Petrol one.

Diesel engines have more torque at lower revs than Petrol ones which means that at lower revs the engine has more pulling power even in the higher gears so will continue to drive the Car forwards when a comparable Petrol engined car without the benefit of the extra torque would either stay at the same speed or reduce speed.

It will just take a while for you to get used to driving a Car with the different engine characteristics.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
One thing you have to remember, the diesel does have more torque at lower revs, BUT only if your above 1500/1750 RPM, because below that your turbo is not init's power band andthe enginewon't pull the skin off a rice pudding. A diesel has a small useable power band, not like a petrol.It will take some getting used too, but once mastered, all systems go

·
Registered
12 Posts
Barflord said:
What you are describing is not a fault and is the difference between driving a Diesel engined car and a Petrol one.

Diesel engines have more torque at lower revs than Petrol ones which means that at lower revs the engine has more pulling power even in the higher gears so will continue to drive the Car forwards when a comparable Petrol engined car without the benefit of the extra torque would either stay at the same speed or reduce speed.

It will just take a while for you to get used to driving a Car with the different engine characteristics.

very true and wellexplained

·
Registered
9 Posts
You say it's not as bad as when it was new - I would suggest that the ECU is learning its new parameters - it can take a few days of driving in traffic as the all the sensor inputs are adjusted, hence why it seems to have improved.

We had a new Diesel Note last year and have noticed the revs do increase slightly when changing gear (a lot of cars do as intended) although not to the extent you describe.

Edited by: Anna Rack

·
Registered
36 Posts
What car did the OP have before the Note diesel? If it was a small petrol engined car, going from that to a diesel can make it seem like the diesel is accelerating by itself because the diesel had more low end power and longer gearing, so you'd probably need to use second gear instead of third like you may have done in a petrol car, when turning left into another road, otherwise the diesel will push against third gear making it feel like its accelerating, especially if you press the brake pedal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
in my experience most diesels have this quirk as you change down the revs climb as the lower gear is a more powerful gear and uses more revs than the one you have just changed down from my own e12 note does it and so did my almera 2.2sxe and most trucks I have driven do it as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I also have that problem with my note DCI I driven loads of diesel cars but mine like yours got a mind of its own at first it was a worry but something IV got use to but if I lent it to someone I have to warn them about powering on when cornering if you find out why please I like to know I love the car mine is on a 09 plate high miles on it but runs as sweet as a nut.jeth

1 - 20 of 20 Posts