Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my high mileage note has massive serv history, however , i can see anywhere in it that g box oils been changed?

My question is , unlike the engine oil which is a pig to change is it a lot easier to change the g box oil ?

Ta in advance

·
Registered
244 Posts
My question is , unlike the engine oil which is a pig to change is it a lot easier to change the g box oil ?
Engine oil is not difficult to change. Why should it be when its done pretty frequently. The filter can sometimes be difficult to get at but you just need the correct tool.

On the other hand gearbox oil can be a pain. Manufacturers tend to say its in for life but if the car has done a high mileage it good to change it. Sometimes there is no drain plug and the oil needs sucking out.

Many years a work colleague with a Golf wanted his gearbox oil level checking and another colleague (DIY enthusiast) volunteered to do it. Unfortunately what he assumed was the filler plug was something to do with reverse gear and when he removed it the car needed a gearbox rebuild to get it working again. A bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. But at least it got the oil level checked and the oil changed. Seem to remember it cost over £600 to sort.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm nissan say Manual transmission gear oil Every 12mths or 20kms

And --Inspect, correct or replace if necessary;

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmmm nissan say Manual transmission gear oil Every 12mths or 20kms

And --Inspect, correct or replace if necessary;
Not sure about that. Before the Note we had a Micra (2 actually) between 2005 and 2015 and they used the exact same gearbox as the Note. In those 10 years the gearbox oil was not changed and I cannot recall seeing it on the schedule.

To be honest I have not seen replace gear oil on a schedule since the 1970's. The only time it needs topping up is when you spot a leak and it needs to be severe to drop the level. A gearbox does not burn oil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about that. Before the Note we had a Micra (2 actually) between 2005 and 2015 and they used the exact same gearbox as the Note. In those 10 years the gearbox oil was not changed and I cannot recall seeing it on the schedule.

To be honest I have not seen replace gear oil on a schedule since the 1970's. The only time it needs topping up is when you spot a leak and it needs to be severe to drop the level. A gearbox does not burn oil.
[/QUOTE

What nissan uk sent me , just says inspect, correct and replace if necessary ???? well when does it become necessary?, however it does say the same as ive now checked in the maintenance schedule for car, but i agree i've never even checked the level in any cars g box in over 30 yrs, but surely it must degrade to some degree..!

Im such a worrier about cars though these days but i think once warm weather is here, ill remove drain plug and if it trickles out, im happy , if not ill do as you suggest, replace the oil anyway due to mileage of car

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have personally never changed the gearbox oil in any of the cars i have owned, when my father was alive he never did it either. A top up once in a blue moon ,sure, but a gearbox oil change. I don't recall ever seeing a drain plug on a gearbox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts