Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

2008 1.4 - Questions

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  mdvineng 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just posted in the newbie section about how I'm hoping to pick up our 2008 Note at the weekend.

Couple of quick questions, should be straight forward to the collective!

1) No bones about it, it's been the moon and back (50k) but still looks like an alright bus for the missus and her commute. I'm wondering what the servicing is regarding the timing belt; am I right in thinking it's a maintenance free timing chain on these?

2) Expected mileage for this engine; Honest John has a 2006 as about 45, is it it the same engine as the 2008?

3) On the test drive I thought the brakes were just a little less positive to what I'm used to. They stop well enough, and they're going to check them for me anyway, I just wonder what everyone else thinks?

4) Anything obvious I need to check for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shindig

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, you can expect hi mileage if serviced well (100k plus), as it's a chain cam drive never skimp on oil and filter changes, if low annual miles change them much sooner. If the brakes stop well and straight then all is well, the different feel is the usual going from one car to another, I had a SAAB that was like pressing concrete to brake, a vectra was progressive and a hire car that was either off or emergency! the alternator belt tension is not automatic so if you hear a squeal in dry weather check the tension, check front tyre pressures as low means heavy steering and hence hard work for the steering motor.

#3 ·
I've got a 2008 1.4 Acenta. Same mileage. It drives spot-on. Service history from main dealer clinched it for me. I do my own maintenance now unless it's something really major. Note is a very cheap car to run. I get 42 mpg in mixed driving but mainly town/A roads. Definitely keep the frequent oil/filter changes going as per advice above.I do around 7500 miles per year so not really bothered that the car has 50K plus miles on it. Had it's MoT last week and went through with no advisories. Brakes are not as good as my old Golf but better than a lot of other small cars I've driven.

#4 ·
Thanks for the repsonse guys. It will be racking up the miles, so I'll take heed of the oil and filter changes, same goes for the tyre pressures. I think it'll be doing about 15k a year, are annual; changes okay or more frequent?

Thanks for the comments about the brakes too, I guessed it was just going into a new car.

#5 ·
If less than 18k per year then change oil annually, I do lots of short trips so i change mine twice a year, I'd rather be cautious as i usually keep my cars for a long time and oil is cheaper than a rebuild any day.

#6 ·
mdvineng said:
If less than 18k per year then change oil annually, I do lots of short trips so i change mine twice a year, I'd rather be cautious as i usually keep my cars for a long time and oil is cheaper than a rebuild any day.

I agree totally, our cars are usually keepers (mine is an '02 Mazda, but short trips only ~4k a year) and think skimping on servicing is false economy. Always try and use premium stock as well regarding oil, plugs, filters etc.

Incidentley, I note (do you see whatI did?!
) that there's no Haynes manual out yet; or am I looking in the wrong place?

#8 ·
the E11 service cd roms on ebay are fine, excellent blown up diagrams and how too's plus good diagnostics until it mentions "consult" ,which if you haven't got one leaves you with using std code readers if there is a code to read that is. The wiring diagrams on it are way better than anything Haynes did, I never was a fan of them, I prefered Clymer manuals if available.

#10 ·
And the beauty of the cd version is that you print off just the pages you want to use and make them into a small folder with grease proof covers for thumbing through whilst doing the job. With a Haynes you were forever going from one page to another as they couldn't just write a complete how to each time the same parts needed removing ( book would of been 6ft thick)

#11 ·
the fsm is only 50 odd Mb once you remove all the junk
your get a good 100-150k out of the 1.4 and 1.6 before you need todo anything major, only things to look for is damp rear seatsor damp footwells make sure all the electrics work as thay should, take the car over a few speed bumps and make sure there no sqeeks fro the front end

#12 ·
Nice one Flash. Had a test drive and went over plenty of speed bumps and don't recall anything untoward. Not checked the rear seats or anyhting yet, wanted to wait until daylight before giving it a good going over.

What would that indicate if it was there?

#14 ·
Karlosfandango said:
Shindig said:
Not checked the rear seats or anyhting yet, wanted to wait until daylight before giving it a good going over.

What would that indicate if it was there?
a) leaking seals b) incontinence c) previously owned by captain of Costa Concordia
Very good!

Just in case it was something other than seals!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.