Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found these photos of a 2004 Nissan Note concept, called "Tone", unfortunately never produced for general public. I really like the clean style and futuristic details.

What do you think? ;)

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Grille
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Car Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Plant

Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

Other photos here: netcarshow.com

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi Evillz, it looks good, and you can see how the Note evolved from it. I had a Landrover Freelander some years ago.
The concept version of it was 'camouflaged' as a Morris Marina which BL put on the chassis for trials. I've got photo's showing the beast.. There's often quite a hidden history to a new models develolment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd prefer this one instead of the final look it got today. I'm only wondering where's the reverse light 😅

·
Registered
244 Posts
I remember the Tone being in the press, take away the headlight surrounds and revert to rear light design to production and you have a Mk1 Note. No idea what the interior was like.

But the was a huge international reaction to the name at the time. The Tone was a WW2 Japanese cruiser. Saw action in many battles including Pearl Harbour.

The real controversy surrounded events in the Indian Ocean in March 1944. The Tone sank the British ship SS Behar and took 108 survivors on board (against the order of the Japanese command). 32 were disembarked at Batavia to become POW's but orders were issued from the Japanese command to "dispose" of the remaining, they were all taken out to sea and beheaded. The Admiral who issued the command was later executed after for war crimes which included this atrocity. The captain of the Tone was sentenced to 7 year imprisonment.

When to Note was finally introduced onto the market many ex serviceman's associations were still unhappy (understandably) that the only change had been to change the letters T & N around in the name.

How many people on here are aware of this incident?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply. You can see how the interior was like just clicking on the link I provided. Personally I didn't know about the history of its name. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Evillz, it looks good, and you can see how the Note evolved from it. I had a Landrover Freelander some years ago.
The concept version of it was 'camouflaged' as a Morris Marina which BL put on the chassis for trials. I've got photo's showing the beast.. There's often quite a hidden history to a new models develolment.
Cannot see that happening. The Freelander was released to the market in 1997, I remember it well, did some work at a design company that were 3D printing (very early days for that process) the front fog light pods.

The Morris Marina went out of production in 1980 and by 1997 the company was in BMW's hands. I find it difficult to believe they still had a Marina body available and if they did they chances of it fitting on a 4WD chassis most unlikely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please, let's try to stay On Topic. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Cannot see that happening. The Freelander was released to the market in 1997, I remember it well, did some work at a design company that were 3D printing (very early days for that process) the front fog light pods.

The Morris Marina went out of production in 1980 and by 1997 the company was in BMW's hands. I find it difficult to believe they still had a Marina body available and if they did they chances of it fitting on a 4WD chassis most unlikely.
Stand by chief, I'm gonna upload a picture of it in a mo..The chassis was the freelander base during development

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Beg yer pardon it was a freelander concept disguised as a 'Maestro' van, not Marina. But i knew i had the development book somewhere. See my upload pics.. Sorry they are upside Dow
Book Wood Font Publication Metal
Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant Paper Paper product
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
244 Posts
Beg yer pardon it was a freelander concept disguised as a 'Maestro' van, not Marina. But i knew i had the development book somewhere. See my upload pics.. Sorry they are upside Dow
Maestro van makes far more sense.

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
95 Posts
The Marina and Maestro, add in the Allegro (in production when Vw were making the GOLF...) and all the reasoning you'll ever need to explain why we don't have a home grown car industry, and i'm happy about that ..lol :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The Marina and Maestro, add in the Allegro (in production when Vw were making the GOLF...) and all the reasoning you'll ever need to explain why we don't have a home grown car industry, and i'm happy about that ..lol :)
The only really good British car i had back in the day was a Rover 2000TC. All leather and a pleasure to drive. The 1999 Freelander i owned had a BL 2.0 diesel but my later 2003 2.0 had the BMW TD4 which was far more refined. I could get 30mpg, but i get nearer to 60mpg with the Note.
Must admit though, the freelander was great on snow etc.

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
95 Posts
The only really good British car i had back in the day was a Rover 2000TC. All leather and a pleasure to drive. The 1999 Freelander i owned had a BL 2.0 diesel but my later 2003 2.0 had the BMW TD4 which was far more refined. I could get 30mpg, but i get nearer to 60mpg with the Note.
Must admit though, the freelander was great on snow etc.
To be a little fairer than my comment was, we could make some ((great looking)) cars.. even pre honda days, but , lets be blunt..., we were pretty crap at screwing them together, ill add the Mini and the E type to your 2000tc ., and ill raise you a RangeRover lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts