Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this size tyre fit any other car, as they don't appear to be a very popular size.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yes, most places can get them within 24 hours there ismore choice now than there was 2-3 years ago

Im running yokohama c-drives on mine good all round tyre and they have hardly worn in 5K miles, where the factory contis were nearing there limit

The search box is your friend

·
Registered
269 Posts
I could only get continental tires was told they was hard 2 get payed £140 for a pair

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Sefton666 said:
I could only get continental tires was told they was hard 2 get payed £140 for a pair

There must be 10-15 brands in the correct size for the note - I go to my local tire place (Dartford tyres - burnham road) or falkham tyres (longfield)they have a brilliant 4 wheel alignment table

anyhoo both have a good selection and Dartford tyres sometimes have them on the shelf

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my last pair of tyres from our local tyre supplier, no problem there. But I was just curious to know if this size only fitted the Note.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
iirc there on mpv's and some French cars, 185/55/16 seems to of come to the market in 2008

at least there not like them bmw runflat's at £200 each

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put 4x195/55 r16 Goodyear ultragrip runflats on my note before realising they are slightly bigger than the recommended size 185/55 r16. Do you think this will be ok as far as insurance goes?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I put 4x195/55 r16 Goodyear ultragrip runflats on my note before realising they are slightly bigger than the recommended size 185/55 r16. Do you think this will be ok as far as insurance goes?
Provided you make them aware there should be no issue, there is only about 1.6% difference in circumference and since all speedo's over read by 5% it will actually make the speedo slightly more accurate. When we had a Micra the factory fit tyres on the petrol were 175 60 15 and they were hens teeth but the diesel was fitted with 175 65 15's which were very common and much cheaper. They made about 3% difference to the circumference which made the wildly inaccurate speedo much better (from new it read 77mph at a genuine 70 according to the Road Angel). Insurers were totally happy with the change.

But my concern would be the run flat bit. Legally to use run flats the car must be fitted with a working TPMS system and from the photo it looks like yours is a Mk 1, did they have TPMS? If they didn't you are breaking the law and should you be involved in an accident its highly likely your insurance would be invalidated. It would also be an MOT failure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
TPMS = tyre pressure monitoring system.

Since run flats look and drive pretty much like a normal tyre even when they have no air in TPMS must be fitted by law. I drove a Mini loan car on run flats once for a day with a tyre with zero PSI - only realised when I got out and smelt burning and saw the tyre smoking. Someone had re-set the TPMS with the flat tyre thus the car thought all was well. As a result the tyre was scrap and they tried (and failed - long story) to get £150 from me for a new tyre.

With "normal" tyres you can spot a flat a mile off on a stationary car and when on the move its pretty noticeable when you are driving on a flat. Beauty of TPMS is you get an early warning (I have had systems that alert at about 7 PSI loss but the Note and the wifes Fabia alert at 3 PSI) and you can stop and potentially sort the problem saving the expense of a new tyre providing its repairable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
can a TPMS be retrofitted or is it worth changing the tyres?
They can, here an Autoexpress report Tyre pressure monitoring systems 2019 | Auto Express

But I have no idea if any of them would be MOT compliant since they are not an OEM fitment. To spend more money and still have an MOT failure would be most unfortunate.

Did you ask for the Run Flats or did the garage fit/recommend them? If it was the latter I would go back and ask them to change them, if they refused I would be going to consumer protection. Even if you got no refund you would hopefully stop them fitting tyres that break the law and put road users lives at risk.

FYI 195 55 16 is a winter tyre size on many BMW 1 series and earlier 3 series cars which are fitted with TPMS. Selling them on e-bay this time of year should be easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went to the tyre place to get my old tyres put back on and the guy had never heard of the MOT/insurance problems - as he was busy I booked it in for tomorrow morning but thought I'd get a second opinion from an MOT garage on my way home - they said its fine to use run flats without a sensor so I went to another tyre place to confirm and it turns out its not illegal. They even looked online for an aftermarket plug in sensor (to ease my mind) which is fine to use - on eBay for £23 so I just ordered one and I'm happy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went to the tyre place to get my old tyres put back on and the guy had never heard of the MOT/insurance problems - as he was busy I booked it in for tomorrow morning but thought I'd get a second opinion from an MOT garage on my way home - they said its fine to use run flats without a sensor so I went to another tyre place to confirm and it turns out its not illegal. They even looked online for an aftermarket plug in sensor (to ease my mind) which is fine to use - on eBay for £23 so I just ordered one and I'm happy.
Taken from the Collision Motoring services site

"Will my MOT requirements change with run flats?
Whilst the use of run flat tyres unlocks many advantages, one of the downsides of fitting run flat tyres is that your car must have a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) fitted to alert you of a puncture. Your TPMS is now tested as part of the MOT, and if it does not work properly will warrant a fail. TPMS faults often occur due to its wheel sensors".

I suggest you speak to the DVLA who will know more than your local potentially dodgy MOT station. You do not want to up in court after an accident for a defective car because you have been given the wrong info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info - I have ordered a monitoring system. The info above doesn't state it has to be OEM. Still considering putting the originals back on as the run flats are a harsher ride on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Still considering putting the originals back on as the run flats are a harsher ride on bumpy roads.
I had a BMW with run-flats fitted (that was all they did) and in truth for the first 2 years I thought they were OK, better than I expected after reading reports. Then I bought an extra set of wheels and fitted some winter tyres, RWD and a back street that was never ploughed/gritted at over 600ft above sea level was difficult at times. The insurance company were fine about the change to non-run flats providing the tyres were fitted in sets of 4. The difference was amazing. Much better ride, nicer steering and much quieter. If I had kept the car longer and changed the summer tyres they would have been replaced by non-run flats as well, as with the winters the insurers were happy providing they were fitted in full sets.

If the original have good tread get them back on and sell the run-flats. I never want another set, even BMW seem to have dropped them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts