Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

When I bought my 2009 Note, the spare in the boot is a 15 inch - but my wheels are all 16 inch....is this correct?

If not, could running on the 15 inch spare cause any issues.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If you mean you have a "spacesaver" spare wheel, covered in yellow stickers with 80kmhr on that looks like something off a bicycle rather than the car, then yes it is correct (The tyre is a bit taller & thinner so it is near enough the right size. I think the early ones are 14", the later ones 15"- my 2008 has a 15" one and those rocking horse droppings 16" tyres (The spacesaver tyre is also marked "temporary use" or similar))
The handbook says to always fit the spacesaver to the rear, so if the flat is at the front that means two changes, first to fit it to the rear, then to fit the removed wheel to the front.

I'm not sure if it is because the diameter is wrong and the transmission will wear and the traction control go do-lally, or if it is because it is so thin that the brakes won't do anything on that wheel.

If it is a normal wheel & tyre then no you shouldn't run on it. There is some exemption to construction & use (that I've never found officially) that allows the temporary speed restricted use of a marked spacesaver together with a normal sized tyre on the same axle, which won't apply with a normal tyre, and you could be prosecuted under C&U, as well as giving your insurer the chance to wheedle out of paying if you were involved in an accident.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mnl - extremely helpful (and a few things I never knew).

Sorry, you're right, it's a Spacesaver with the yellow sticker etc. I was thinking it was correct, as my friend who sold me the Note ran it for a fair old while (long story!) with this 15" Spacesaver fitted. He is adamant (not the dandy highwayman 80s singer) that it's the correct wheel, because it was new and in the boot when he got the Note. Also, the 15 inch is a tight squeeze in the boot compartment where it goes, and I can't imagine how a 16 inch would fit.

I just wanted to get confirmation that the 15" wheel is Kosher to use because another issue has come up: the brakes are graunching, and the ABS light was on (I can feel another thread coming on).

Anyway, thanks again for taking the trouble to write such a helpful reply.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I did some more research, and the spacesaver is covered by The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 Regulation 26 (5)

(5) Paragraphs (1), (2), and (4) do not prohibit the fitting of a temporary use spare tyre to a wheel of a passenger vehicle (not being a bus) unless it is driven at a speed exceeding 50 mph.

So you can be prosecuted for exceeding 50mph on one, which would make a motorway journey somewhat hazardous.
They don't have much tread to start with and wear quickly, they are really for "drive to a place of safety/repair garage" not daily use.

You can get a full size wheel in the boot if you let the tyre down, and carry a compressor to blow it up when you need it..

The ABS light is hopefully a sensor- have a look for broken wires or damaged teeth on the abs rings. If it isn't obvious then it needs the codes reading by someone with a superduper code reader, the £10 ones are engine codes only.
Graunching brakes could be a pad or shoe worn out, corroded discs, or seized pads/slide pins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Many thanks again, Mnl.

Yes, I wouldn't drive on the Spacesave unless it's unavoidable. I just bought 4 use alloys/tyres identical to what's on my Note, and will put on the 2 with the best tyres (the passnger-side front was o an advisory with the last MOT a few months ago). I might need to bump up my post count to 10 swiftly, so I can do a 'for sale' on some of those alloys!

Got t say I realy love everything about the Note. I was forced to get rid of a perefectly good (and much-loved) 1997 VW Polo, due to ULEZ. But the Note is ideal for me, and I like it more and more as time passes. Everything is so well thought out, and I was stunned to learn that it is virtually identical to the Polo in size, save for the height. When my pal used to give me a lift in the Note, it felt like a people carrier inside!

Really appreciate to ABS & brakes advice: the garage that changed my wheel bearings wanted £50 to do the diagnostic. Do you (or anyone else reading) have any idea how much a decent tester is to buy?

BTW, if you were me, would you keep one of those alloys I have as a spare in the boot - and not replace the (worn out) Spacesaver? They are pretty heavy, so I'm a bit concerned out the petrol wasted having one on board.

All the best & have a lovely weekend.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
A code reader that will check the ABS & seatbelts is about £200. Something like a Launch CRP123 Launch CRP123 Premium
Expensive for a one-off job, but can be used on many different cars. The next model up can reset electronic handbrakes (which we don't have) and the steering angle sensor- which we do.

Be careful with Amazon & eBay, there are a lot of clones of these type of units, Autel & Launch, that are a lot cheaper, but don't work, won't update and the official manufacturer wont assist with.

As regards the spare- up to you. I threw out my spacesaver and squeezed in a full size wheel. At the time I thought it was a good idea in case of a puncture hundreds of miles from home.

Now I quite like the idea of the space saver- it fits in the space, secures down properly, is lighter to pick up, saves fuel etc.

If a new spacesaver tyre is cheap enough I'd likely get one, punctures severe enough to need the wheel swapping are rare, usually a top up with a 12v compressor is enough to get to a garage.

I suspect a new spacesaver tyre isn't cheap though, I've never heard of anyone changing one (even when they are 14 years old like mine)....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see Spacesavers come up on Fleabay for about £40 delieverd quite often. Sometimes they are brand new.

In this crazy throwaway world (where we're incessantly all lectured to about being 'green') I suspect it's far cheaper to buy a a whole new Spacesaver wheel with tyre, rather than change the tyre on the one I have.

Let's make sure we're not bidding against each other!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry all. I've just been looking around the forum, and see that this question is one of the oldest of old chestnuts on here. I should have done a little reading before gunning out this question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

When I bought my 2009 Note, the spare in the boot is a 15 inch - but my wheels are all 16 inch....is this correct?

If not, could running on the 15 inch spare cause any issues.

All the best.
caused me big problems as abs kept braking the spacesaver as its rotating faster than the other . Had to stop start a lot or would have cooked that brake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you mean you have a "spacesaver" spare wheel, covered in yellow stickers with 80kmhr on that looks like something off a bicycle rather than the car, then yes it is correct (The tyre is a bit taller & thinner so it is near enough the right size. I think the early ones are 14", the later ones 15"- my 2008 has a 15" one and those rocking horse droppings 16" tyres (The spacesaver tyre is also marked "temporary use" or similar))
The handbook says to always fit the spacesaver to the rear, so if the flat is at the front that means two changes, first to fit it to the rear, then to fit the removed wheel to the front.

I'm not sure if it is because the diameter is wrong and the transmission will wear and the traction control go do-lally, or if it is because it is so thin that the brakes won't do anything on that wheel.

If it is a normal wheel & tyre then no you shouldn't run on it. There is some exemption to construction & use (that I've never found officially) that allows the temporary speed restricted use of a marked spacesaver together with a normal sized tyre on the same axle, which won't apply with a normal tyre, and you could be prosecuted under C&U, as well as giving your insurer the chance to wheedle out of paying if you were involved in an accident.
You can always change your spacesaver wheel for a normal one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmm, that's interesting, JimCo: I have had the ABS and EPS lights come on while I've had the Spacesaver on. Also, I have had graunching every now and then when I brake (that might be a seperate issue, and I will start a thread on it if I can't find one already started on this issue).

I do find it a bit weird that Nissan have made the spare a 15 inch. Still, better than the can of shaving foam a lot of new cars come with now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts