Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, this old chestnut, but although I have found some info on repairs there seems to be a mix of info under the same heading some of which is not related to the subframe itself. Not being able to search the forums has hampered my efforts.

I was wondering if a repair procedure had been compiled somewhere. My garage identified the probable issue based on my description and their poking around, and said he could "feel the lose bolt but couldn't get into it" so it's not a bushing.

If there is a solution that I could tell him about then I may be able to get them to do the work. Otherwise I'm going to have to have a look myself which isn't ideal with no weather cover in October.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The creaky subframe is caused because Renault/Nissan didn't "design" the Clio/Modus floorpan properly- actually, it may be ok for the Renault engine & autobox, but not the Nissan one.

The chassis is miles from the subframe at the front, so R/N make up the difference with a couple of legs- often called "hockey sticks". They get away with it on a manual, because they use two of the part (13) which goes under the chassis rail at the top, and bolts to the lower arm pivot bolt at the bottom, but on an auto, the gearbox is where the leg would go, so they just attached an other (12) to the side of the chassis rail under the battery. There is a threaded bush inside the chassis, that isn't really attached to anything, and under the leverage from the subframe, it breaks out of the chassis.

To get to it, the battery comes out (open the doors & boot first if you want the tool for the wheelnuts and to get in the thing) and the air box affair behind it.

To bodge it up, I and Coolhands cut a hole from under the wheelarch, removed the bush, and put thick washers each side of the flitch panel and bolted it up.

Coolhands videos

now, really it wanted welding, but many years of experience have taught me that once you get the welder to a car, it rusts like crazy.
What I should have done was turn a new bush that goes right through the chassis and weld it to the washer on the inside, fit & align it, then drop a washer over the wheel side and weld it to the chassis and bush, then weld the engine side solid to the car.

However, the bodge has lasted years....

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts