FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Nissan Note Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

If you're new here please introduce yourself in our Newbies Forum, we also have a new orders forum for anyone looking at ordering the New Note.

REmove rear brake drums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
popejohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popejohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REmove rear brake drums
    Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 11:19am
I have just purchased a second hand Note   nice car  I have inspected front discs all ok .Am  I right in assuming to remove rear drums I need to prise  off  the bearing cap with a screwdiver then  undo the locknut to remove the rear brake drum  many thanks for any reply
john B
Sponsored Links

mdvineng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvineng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 11:43am
Yes but try not to wreck the cap as it helps retain the bearing grease, check the bearing axial play first (max 0.05mm) and for any roughness, as you may want to replace the bearing at this stage. remove the axle nut and carefully remove drum and hub bearing. Note in manual states do not reuse the hub cap but if you expand the cap a little you can get away with it, re tightening torque for the axle nuts is 175Nm and If I remember correctly one is a right hand thread, the other is lefthand.
08 ACENTA R+ 1.6 AUTO. Ooopss! we'll just try that one more time an see if it works?
mnl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by mdvineng mdvineng wrote:

I remember correctly one is a right hand thread, the other is lefthand.

That sort of common sense (so they tighten themselves when you go along) went out in the 1970s I'm afraid. Confused

They are both right hand thread, so you must use threadlock or get new nuts when replacing them, or one of the wheels will come off later on.
flash22 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 4:16pm
use proper loctite too, the granvile stuff isnt very good

that reminds me i must do my handbrake
mdvineng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvineng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 5:12pm
70's be about right for me (55 baby) though i did a friends ford rear bearings a few months ago and they were handed still! I must check my rear shoes before the cold weather sets in this winter.
08 ACENTA R+ 1.6 AUTO. Ooopss! we'll just try that one more time an see if it works?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic