FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Nissan Note Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

If you're new here please introduce yourself in our Newbies Forum, we also have a new orders forum for anyone looking at ordering the New Note.

cold starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dave9uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave9uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cold starting
    Posted: 12 May 2018 at 9:58pm
Hello i have recently bought a Nissan Note  57 plate 1.4 SE and it has a fault  it struggles to start when the engine is cold and wen driving in low gear or slowly 20 to 30 mph  it is jerky  the engine light is on on the dash  could anyone suggest what could be the issue i am not wanting to spend a lot as i dont have it to spend.
I have not had the code checked yet  i will in next few days  but would just like an idea of what could be the issue.

Many Thanks 
dave9uk
somedays im good somedays im awesome
Sponsored Links

crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:19am
Getting the code read is a must. The problem could be one of a lot of things.
Mind you, the symptoms remind me of an issue I had with a Renault Megane I had a few years back.
Difficult to start from cold and occasional jerky running. Made the mistake of taking it to Arnold Clark dealers to sort it. They diagnosed an immobilisor issue. The key fob was not properly shutting off the immobilisor. 2X recodes....no effect. New circuit board within the key.....no effect. Problem was then re-diagnosed as a coil pack failure. New coil duly fitted.....no effect. So far I'm near £500 out of pocket. Took the car to a local indy garage for MOT and told the mechanic about the fault. "Sounds like a Lambda sensor to me. Got one on a scrap Clio if you want to try it" He said. 10 minutes later replacement Lambda sensor fitted and problem cured. £10.
Ok, it's a bit of a long winded way of guessing a Lambda sensor has gone on your car. There are two and it's wise to replace both together.
I'd also advise keeping well clear of main dealers for servicing.
2008 Nissan Note 1.4 Visia & 2013 Toyota Yaris
silverhairs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote silverhairs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:55am
It seems to be the latest thing with large or dealership garages, find a fault code, lets give this a try.  No difference, right lets give this a try, oh sh*t that's not the problem.  OK lets give this a try Angry.  All the time it's costing the customer money.  A small independent garage will go the extra mile to sort the problem out, he wants you to go back, he cannot afford to loose customers like that.
If the engine light is on, don't drive the car, you can be causing more trouble for yourself. 
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well
dave9uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave9uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:04pm
Hello i have been to local small garage and the code was read as the crankshaft sensor   and the part is fairly cheap so do i get it done do i wait till i get airbag tecall from dealer and ask them to be double sure ?
dave9uk
crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:26pm
If you are getting problems and it is showing the Crankshaft sensor, then best get the independent garage to remove the sensor. Probably it just needs a clean as dust and gunk thrown about by the flywheel can impede it's function. If it is goosed then the indy should be able to sourse and fit a new one. Dealer will likely just fit a new sensor and charge a fortune to do the job. They seem to use the formula (Code = Fit New Part = Easy Profit) rather than the old mechanics formula (Problem = teeth sooking + rubbing chin / shaking head + Remove Part + Cup of tea + Fix/Repair problem = Job Done)
dave9uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave9uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 4:07pm
hello  i went to the back street garage again and asked them to do what was needed  the code was checked again  and i was told it was the camshaft sensor i did say to them that i was told its the crankshaft sensor they sowed me the code and looked it up it did say camshaft sensor  and they said they can get it and fit  within 2 hrs  so i told them to do it  it was fine when i drove the car away seemed better driving  however when i got to my home the engine light has came back on and same non starting fault when cold  i phoned them back  and the next time i pass i have to take it in  
now  has  anyone any ideas what this could be  im not wanting to spend spend spend  untill i get time to go back to garage  can anyone suggest  what it could be now  ?

dave9uk
crunchie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crunchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:17pm
Back to the garage to get the code read again. I'd first off suspect the new camshaft sensor, either a loose wire/conector or a faulty part. (Even a brand new component can have a wee fault). As you have a return of your original symptoms it all points to the new sensor or fitting being at fault.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote silverhairs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:02pm
Look back at some old posts about fitting faulty sensors, there are a couple of sensors that have two sensors doing the same job, and members have fitted one of the sensors and it was the second one that was causing the problem.  Whether it's the one you have problems with I don't know, but it could be.

Hope this helps you out, look up the old posts.
dave9uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave9uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:21pm
ok update i went to dealer airbag recall now done 
i then went back to independent garage  same fault code was read P0340
we now have replaced the two sensors  erased fault P0340
it started ok went for a drive and engine light came back on 
same fault code P0340 and again struggles to start when cold 
we now thinking along the lines of of stretched cam chain  Could this be possible ?
also there was another customer in the garage  that says his wife has a note 
he had the same issue  and also replaced sensors  but he was told that if he flushed the engine changed oil and filter and there is a sensor at top left that has tiny holes in it  thats bolted on that needs to be taken out  cleaned and put back in  and new oil and filter cured his issue  could this be the same for me ? i dont really want to be going to replace a timing chain if i dont have too  any ideas please ?
dave9uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote silverhairs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:33pm
OK it's a 57 plate, but I very much doubt it's the timing chain, if it starts when it's warm why start looking at the timing chain if it's a problem when cold.  When the timing chain is cold in theory it should be a bit shorter? It's one of the many sensors the engine has.  But that's modern technology for you.
I thought it was great when you could fit electronic ignition and get rid of your points LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic